The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Persistent Persistence

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
Persistent Persistence Posted: May 26, 2004 10:49 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: Persistent Persistence
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

When I first put user accounts into the wiki, I did it the simplest way I could -- I pickled each User object to disk. Then a little later I refactored the layout, so all the modules changed locations -- and the pickles broke. I could have tried to fix them -- maybe editing them by hand (there weren't many), or putting files back in place, unpickling, then reconstructing them. Either way it's a total pain in the ass.

There weren't many accounts, so I just blew them away and stored user information in flat files (rfc822 style). Now I don't have to worry about this in the future, as the data is stored very transparently, and forward and backward compatibility can be managed on an as-needed basis.

My conclusion? Never keep anything you care about in a pickle, at any point you should be able to blow it away. If you can't, then pickle isn't right for you.

A corollary: do keep things in explicitly formatted text files, maybe XML (or even YAML), maybe simpler than that (like RFC822, i.e., mail-header style).

The reason I like an RDBMS is because it's almost as good as a flat text file, but with a bunch of extra features. Any good RDBMS can be serialized to a sequence of SQL statements, again increasing transparency. Mapping between Python and the RDBMS is explicit, which is good -- because the data will probably live longer than the code, so the code should adapt to the data, not the other way around. The formality of an RDBMS -- type restrictions and all -- again safeguards the data.

And perhaps a corollary: I'm not a big fan of using lots of stored procedures and other related features (many uses of triggers and views, for instance). I'm trying to protect the data from the code, and putting code in the database compromises that. Though I'm still trying to figure out what the right balance is, where data integrity should (or can) be ensured, what logic is intrinsic to the database.

Read: Persistent Persistence

Topic: Word Play Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Travellers and Magicians

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use