The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Some ad hoc thoughts on Python and mobile phones

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jarno Virtanen

Nickname: jajvirta

Jarno Virtanen is a university student for life, it seems, and a part time software developer
Some ad hoc thoughts on Python and mobile phones Posted: May 5, 2004 1:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Jarno Virtanen.
Original Post: Some ad hoc thoughts on Python and mobile phones
Feed Title: Python owns us
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: A weblog about Python from the view point of Jarno Virtanen.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Jarno Virtanen
Latest Posts From Python owns us

Advertisement

I do not think that "Python for Nokia" would be cool just because the nouns in the phrase are "Python" and "Nokia". Rather, I think Python would be almost a perfect fit for development on mobile phones. While I can see that Java has advantages over Python (say, standardized application servers) in the so called enterprise development and in large scale software development, I think that Python could be superior on mobile phones.

Java is all about complex, flexible, (over-)engineered, and powerful object oriented architectures. Python is all about simple, straight-forward, readable and (somewhat) flaky get-things-done modules.

Give me

[(entry.name, entry.number) for entry in phonebook if
entry.number.startswith('040')] 

over

ArrayList zeroForties = new ArrayList();
Iterator it = phonebook.iterator();
while (it.hasNext()) {
    Entry entry = (Entry) it.next();
    if (entry.getNumber().startswith("040")) {
        zeroForties.add(entry);
    }
}

any time.

Python is more of "ad hoc development" whereas Java is more of "design up-front". (And I am not saying that design up-front is bad.) Sure, not everything in Python is "ad hoc" nor everything in Java is "design up-front", but you get the point. Development on mobile phones can be a little ad hoc, because you won't be doing projects lasting a year or two with more-than-one team members. You can try things out, you can fiddle around. You can even do dirty little quick hacks, or you can glue some temporary work-arounds. And when it comes to getting from an idea to a working prototype, there is nothing faster than Python in the whole wide world for me.

Read: Some ad hoc thoughts on Python and mobile phones

Topic: Another web app pattern Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Zope 2, Zope 3, and the big empty space between

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use