The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
New Wiki

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
New Wiki Posted: Apr 11, 2004 8:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: New Wiki
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

I spent most of the weekend working on the new wiki for Webware (http://wiki.w4py.org), which is going along with the new website (http://webwareforpython.org , or w4py.org for short). The front page design itself is still in the works, and the wiki content is still a rough translation from its former home.

You can read about the wiki itself on the This Wiki page. Key features:

• Uses Restructured Text for its markup. I especially like this, because it's the most complete markup of its kind I've seen yet (of the human-editable ASCII markups). And because WikiNames kind of annoy me -- that and some other markup issues keep wikis' content from being generic content. ReST is also good for writing about programming, which is a central feature of the site. ReST also means it's not Yet Another Wiki Markup Language.

• WikiPage objects are interface- and framework-independent. The result is a much more object-oriented design, where the page objects are intelligent, but we don't confuse those documents with the interface that manipulates them. It should be fairly easy to port much of this to another framework (it uses Webware, as is appropriate).

• Uses External Editor (a tool from the Zope world) for editing content in a regular editor (if you want to avoid a textarea). This was both easy to add and very effective (at least for my editing tastes). I'll probably write later about how to use the External Editor client for applications.

• Simple persistence, all just text files, no pickles. At some point I'll have to add something faster for the indexing, but I like the canonical content being in plain text.

I'm excited about the possibility of making the wiki the canonical location for all the Webware documentation. Much of the stuff that's already in reST form can be easily imported, and we can export the content easily as well.

Read: New Wiki

Topic: M2Crypto in Chandler Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Spiffy Javascript...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use