The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Concurrency: looking for positive models

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
Concurrency: looking for positive models Posted: Mar 30, 2004 10:04 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: Concurrency: looking for positive models
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

My recent post on Prothon got several comments about threading. Which is odd, since I hadn't mentioned threading, and it really was entirely off-topic. (OK, technically it related to Prothon's lack of a Global Interpreter Lock, but I ignored that in my post because the GIL bores me)

During PyCon Bruce Eckel talked a little bit about threads in his speach. Not a lot -- it was incidental to the main topic. But it got a strong reaction from people -- heckling from the crowd (good spirited though it was), and I'm sure Bruce heard other reactions after. Whenever someone asks how to use threads, there's always someone else who says "don't".

Personally, my experience hasn't been so bad. There's been some annoying problems, but frankly concurrency is hard, and a lot of the problems have been due to concurrency issues that wouldn't be magically solved by a different form of concurrency. And a lot of people get things done with threads... isn't that the real test?

What I don't see is a practical alternative being presented in most cases. That is, an alternative that is easy to use, reliable, and doesn't require you to twist your mind around new ways of programming (pun not intended... or maybe it is subconsciously?)

When people are getting stuff done using threads, it's not a very convincing argument to tell them they are just wrong. And you can take my blocking calls from my cold, dead hands! So what's the realistic alternative? What's the example application that deals with concurrency safely and pleasantly, with a manageable codebase that is friendly to outsiders? I don't want to drink the Kool Aid, I just want to get things done. For all those that feel the same, threads so far have been the safe bet.

(Okay, I'll admit it, I wrote this while procrastinating on fixing some threading bugs; oh irony!)

Read: Concurrency: looking for positive models

Topic: Brainstorm in een glas water Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: PyCon and all that jazz

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use