The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
PyCon, Day 2

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ted Leung

Nickname: twl

Ted Leung is principal of Sauria Associates, LLC. He is a member of the Apache Software Foundation
PyCon, Day 2 Posted: Mar 26, 2004 8:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ted Leung.
Original Post: PyCon, Day 2
Feed Title: Ted Leung on the air : computers/programming/python
Feed URL: http://www.sauria.com/blog/computers/programming/python?flav=rss
Feed Description: Ted Leung on the air: Open Source, Java, Python, and ...
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ted Leung
Latest Posts From Ted Leung on the air : computers/programming/python

Advertisement
It's a measure of PyCon quality that I am so busy that I barely have time to write a blog entry. I've met so many people and had so many interesting discussions. I suspect you'll be seeing a stream of related posts as I recover.

In any case, the highlights of Day 2 were: Guido's keynote, the Pyrex talks, and the doctest talk, as well as conversations with Mitch Kapor, Anthony Baxter, and Jeremy Hylton. A few words on each. Guido covered some of the upcoming items in 2.4 -- I got more out of the way that he interacted with the Python community (even though it was a keynote), and his taste in language design than I did out of the actual features (which you can read about in the notes - a reminder that the crazy Mac SubEthaEdit people are churning out notes on many of the talks. It's passed out of my hands -- I'm only hosting some of the documents on the Powerbook, others have taken over some hosting. About all I'm doing is providing some server space. See the contributor's lists to see who you should really be thanking).

I finally understand what Pyrex is and how it helps with Python performance and wrapping C code. I think that its an approach that can be fruitful for a sizable number of problems. Ditto for doctest. Actually, I'm sort of kicking myself over this one, since doctest was in the standard library and would have been preferable for most of the unit tests that I wrote when I started at OSAF. Fixing this would be a nice way for someone to get involved.

Each of my discussions with Mitch, Anthony, and Jeremy could fill one or more blog posts, so I have to put them off for now. As a final "flavor of the Con" kind of thing: Between lunch and the afternoon talks, Steve Holden held a tongue twister contest -- contestants had to read Steve's tongue twister in 10 seconds or less. Someone at Bob Ippolito's table (it may have been Bob for all I know) typed the tongue twister into a Mac and used the "speak text" service on it.

Read: PyCon, Day 2

Topic: IronPython Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: PyCon 2004

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use