The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Software mentioned in ChEMBL SD records

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Andrew Dalke

Nickname: dalke

Andrew Dalke is a consultant and software developer in computational chemistry and biology.
Software mentioned in ChEMBL SD records Posted: Aug 18, 2016 12:13 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Andrew Dalke.
Original Post: Software mentioned in ChEMBL SD records
Feed Title: Andrew Dalke's writings
Feed URL: http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/diary-rss.xml
Feed Description: Writings from the software side of bioinformatics and chemical informatics, with a heaping of Python thrown in for good measure.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Andrew Dalke
Latest Posts From Andrew Dalke's writings

Advertisement

When I work with real-world data sets, I usually start with PubChem before going on to ChEMBL. Why? The PubChem data is all generated by one chemistry toolkit - I'm pretty sure it's OEChem - while ChEMBL data comes from many sources.

To get a sense of the diversity, I processed the ChEBML 21 release to get the second line of each record. The ctfile format specification says that if non-blank then the 8 characters starting in the third position should contain the program name. The documentation includes a description of the fields:

IIPPPPPPPPMMDDYYHHmmddSS…
where those fields are:
  • II: two characters for the user's initials
  • PPPPPPPP: eight characters for the program name
  • MMDDYY: two characters for the month, two for the day, two for the year
  • HHmm: two characters for the hour, two for the minutes
  • … additional fields omitted …
Here are a few examples:
  SciTegic12231509382D
  Mrv0541 05211314572D          
          08180812482D 1   1.00000     0.00000     0
  Symyx   11300911332D 1   1.00000     0.00000     0
The third program wishes to remain anonymous.

Extract program names from the ChEMBL 21 SDF

I'll write a program to extract those program names and count how many times each one occurs. I don't need a general-purpose SD file reader because ChEMBL uses a subset of the SD format. For example, there are only two lines in each record which start with "CHEMBL", the title line (the first line of the record) and the data line after the "chembl_id" tag.

My code can read line through the file. The first time it sees a "CHEMBL" line is the title line, so the following line (the second line) contains the data. Then when it sees "> <chembl_id>" it knows to skip the following line, which will have a CHEMBL on it.

There are two oddities here. First, the gzip reader returns byte strings. I decided to do the pattern matching on the byte strings to ignore the overhead of converting everything to Unicode when I only need a few characters from the file. Second, a Python file object is its own iterator, so I can use "infile" in both the for-loop and in the body itself.

import sys, gzip
from collections import Counter
counter = Counter()
with gzip.open("/Users/dalke/databases/chembl_21.sdf.gz", "rb") as infile:
  for line in infile:
      # Get the line after the title line (which starts with 'CHEMBL')
      if line[:6] == b"CHEMBL":
          next_line = next(infile)
          # Print unique program names
          program = next_line[2:10]
          if program not in counter:
              print("New:", repr(str(program, "ascii")))
          counter[program] += 1

if line[:13] == b"> ":
          ignore = next(infile) # skip the CHEMBL

print("Done. Here are the counts for each program seen.")
  for name, count in counter.most_common():
    print(repr(str(name, "ascii")), count)

Program counts

Here is the table of counts:

Program namecount
'SciTegic'1105617
' '326445
'CDK 9' 69145
'Mrv0541 '30962
''24531
'CDK 6'10805
'CDK 1'8642
'CDK 5'4771
'CDK 8'2209
'-ISIS- '281
'Symyx '171
'CDK 7'144
'-OEChem-'96
'Marvin '61
'Mrv0540 '13
' RDKit'3
'CDK 3'1
The number of different CDK lines is not because of a version number but because CDK doesn't format the line correctly. The specification states that the first few fields of a non-blank line are supposed to be:

IIPPPPPPPPMMDDYYHHmmddSS…
while the CDK lines use:
  CDK    7/28/10,10:58
  CDK    8/10/10,12:22
  CDK    9/16/09,9:40
  CDK    10/7/09,10:42
  CDK    11/9/10,11:20
were the date starts one byte too early. The date also isn't in the specified format.

Further examination shows these were only generated in 2009 and 2010. The current CDK implementation is correct, and a 'git annotate' suggests it was fixed in 2010.

I don't think anyone uses that line for anything, and don't see the point of changing anything, so I don't think it's worthwhile to even ask ChEBML to change these old records.

Read: Software mentioned in ChEMBL SD records

Topic: We have lost Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Use FragmentOnBonds to fragment a molecule in RDKit

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use