The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Little form display tweaks

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
Little form display tweaks Posted: Feb 25, 2004 10:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: Little form display tweaks
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

A couple little things I've done recently to make forms more pleasing (at least, pleasing me). One is the use of ↓ (↓) for errors, like:

↓You fucked up this form field↓
Somehow the idea of swearing at the user delights me. I think I've written too many polite error messages.

Anyway, even though it's a little thing (and a little arrow), it makes the error messages read much better to me. When error messages (or any message) show up above or below a field, it's unclear whether it's referring to the field above or below. It takes a little deduction, like looking at the top of the form (to see if the form starts with a label or a field), or deciphering the error message to see if it makes sense for the field above or below. As small as it is, the arrows allow you to read through the error message and go directly to the error field without thought. Turning the bad field pink also helps, but no reason you can't use both.

I've also played with a little CSS for radio fields. Here's some fields:

<label class="radio" for="answer_yes">
  <input type="radio" name="answer" value="yes" id="answer_yes"> Yes
</label>
<label class="radio" for="answer_no">
  <input type="radio" name="answer" value="no" id="answer_no"> No
</label>
<label class="radio" for="answer_maybe">
  <input type="radio" name="answer" value="maybe" id="answer_maybe"> Maybe
</label>
Labels are good, but this makes them better:
label.radio {
  display: block;
  border: 1px white solid;
}

label.radio:hover {
  background-color: #eeeeee;
  border: 1px black solid;
  padding: 0px;
  margin: 0px;
  cursor: pointer;
}
The result:

label.radio { display: block; border: 1px white solid; } label.radio:hover { background-color: #eeeeee; border: 1px black solid; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; cursor: pointer; }

Yes No Maybe

Unfortunately these don't work well if display: block doesn't work, and I'm not sure if it will on all browsers. Without the CSS, all the choices will get smushed into a single paragraph. If you put <br> tags after each option, then the buttons won't be packed together well when styles are working. I'm not sure what to do about this.

Anyway, I think the CSS helps, because while <label> is nice (especially for checkboxes and radio buttons), most users won't notice it's there. This makes the label feel active and manipulatable.

Read: Little form display tweaks

Topic: RSS: just fine ... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Artificial Planet

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use