The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
I am _so_ tempted to build this

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Phillip Pearson

Nickname: myelin

Phillip Pearson is a Python hacker from New Zealand
I am _so_ tempted to build this Posted: Feb 3, 2004 4:40 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Phillip Pearson.
Original Post: I am _so_ tempted to build this
Feed Title: Second p0st
Feed URL: http://www.myelin.co.nz/post/rss.xml
Feed Description: Tech notes and web hackery from the guy that brought you bzero, Python Community Server, the Blogging Ecosystem and the Internet Topic Exchange
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Phillip Pearson
Latest Posts From Second p0st

Advertisement

Mark Pilgrim:

The next logical step after that, of course, is to automate the process entirely. Don't like RSS? Change it! Why don't you set up a web form where users can check off the elements they want, arbitrarily misspell some elements (like you did when you stole RSS from Netscape), add or remove allowed HTML entities (like you did when you stole RSS from Netscape), and add a bunch of meaningless illdefined elements like ttl or guid. You can call it the "RSS Spec-o-matic".

Then we can set up a directory of all the world's incompatible RSS specs (as if we didn't have enough already). And we can make the directory available in OPML! Bonus! Then we can all watch the bug reports pour in as users not only don't know which validator to trust, they don't even know which spec to trust.

An automatic spec generator. With OPML output. Heh.

To be truly useful, it would have to generate validators as well. I guess a validator could just read the OPML and work off that.

Seriously, though, it does have a real world use. Recently I wrote some Python code that parses an XML schema (my own proprietary format; not the XML Schema) and generates C code to parse (and validate) it. It lets you do things like bind variables, so you can get it to populate config arrays etc. It wouldn't be hard for me to generate an ultra-strict RSS parser in C with it (not that that would all that useful). The spec-o-matic would be a nice counterpart - an editor for the schema files.

Comment

Read: I am _so_ tempted to build this

Topic: Xiru going to Brasilia Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dirty Python tricks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use