The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Visualizing Python profiling data with kcachegrind

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ted Leung

Nickname: twl

Ted Leung is principal of Sauria Associates, LLC. He is a member of the Apache Software Foundation
Visualizing Python profiling data with kcachegrind Posted: Jan 15, 2004 2:31 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ted Leung.
Original Post: Visualizing Python profiling data with kcachegrind
Feed Title: Ted Leung on the air : computers/programming/python
Feed URL: http://www.sauria.com/blog/computers/programming/python?flav=rss
Feed Description: Ted Leung on the air: Open Source, Java, Python, and ...
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ted Leung
Latest Posts From Ted Leung on the air : computers/programming/python

Advertisement
Today I started to do some work on the big RSS feed test that I've been working on for Chandler. While Googling around, I discovered this announcement of a method for using kcachegrind to give you a nice visualization of the profiler data produced by Python's hotshot profiler. It requires KDE libraries, so I decided to try to get this working on Linux first, being afraid to try and fink the necessary libraries for KDE. Turns out that there is a kcachegrind package for debian (in unstable). Unfortunately, that version doesn't include the scripts needed to make this work. So I grabbed the unstable version of kcachegrind, unwrapped it and used the script in there. Every thing seems to work just fine, and its a nice way to manipulate the profile data. Thanks to X11.app, I can at least view the visualization on the Mac. I'm not sure if I'm up for KDE libs on the Mac just yet.

On tip if you decide to do this. The input file to kcachegrind must be of the form cachegrind.out.NN where NN is a number. That was really a nasty pain to figure out.

Read: Visualizing Python profiling data with kcachegrind

Topic: A Python Poka-Yoke Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Writing libxslt extension modules in Python

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use