The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Bootstrapping a web hosting service

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Phillip Pearson

Nickname: myelin

Phillip Pearson is a Python hacker from New Zealand
Bootstrapping a web hosting service Posted: Dec 4, 2003 9:41 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Phillip Pearson.
Original Post: Bootstrapping a web hosting service
Feed Title: Second p0st
Feed URL: http://www.myelin.co.nz/post/rss.xml
Feed Description: Tech notes and web hackery from the guy that brought you bzero, Python Community Server, the Blogging Ecosystem and the Internet Topic Exchange
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Phillip Pearson
Latest Posts From Second p0st

Advertisement

I'm seriously considering starting a general web hosting service. I already run Python Community Server to host weblogs, so the change in responsibility isn't all that different. The emphasis is going to be on creating a secure shared environment -- a middle ground between your average web host today and something like JohnCompanies, which provides a really isolated, but somewhat expensive, hosting environment. Lots of chrooting - I plan to modify SUEXEC to run all CGI chrooted (not just setuid).

Right now I have the shell system (chrooted shells so you can SSH in and only see your own private environment) and FTP (chrooted FTP that lets you do things like make an FTP account that can only see a tiny bit of your web space, for things like Blogger). The SUEXEC mod will come later.

Anybody interested in being one of the first customers, please drop me a line. Prices should be about the same as CornerHost - US$5/mo for a straight 100MB/1GB no-script account, $10/month for more storage/transfer and CGI/PHP, $20 for something with SSH access, or $30 for that plus the ability to run your own server process (e.g. PyCS, Zope, or a private Apache).

The usual things will be there -- cron, IMAP, SquirrelMail, etc.

<-- be one of the first!

Comment

Read: Bootstrapping a web hosting service

Topic: OCaml Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: UNIX hackery: Modifying lukemftpd for ftp hosting that doesn't suck

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use