The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Zope3 + SQLObject = Fun!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sidnei da Silva

Nickname: deecee

Sidnei da Silva is a dirty little brazilian python hacker
Zope3 + SQLObject = Fun! Posted: Dec 4, 2003 11:03 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Sidnei da Silva.
Original Post: Zope3 + SQLObject = Fun!
Feed Title: awkly.org
Feed URL: http://awkly.org/categories.rdf?category=Python
Feed Description: dreamcatching :: making your dreams come true
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Sidnei da Silva
Latest Posts From awkly.org

Advertisement
Zope3 + SQLObject = Fun!

Been having a lot of fun last week with my Zope 3 project, using SQLObject. The project is near the end, so now its time for polishing some sharp edges.

One of the first things that came to mind was the lack of DELETE CASCADE and foreign key constraints. That one was a required feature for the project, so I've poked around a bit, and it didn't seemed to be hard to do. Hands at work, and one hour later I had a very basic working version. I sent a patch to the mailing list and asked for some ideas, because I wasn't 100% sure if my approach made sense. Ian Bicking pitched in asking some questions, which made me realize that I had misunderstood the way that DROP TABLE xxx CASCADE worked.

Hands at work again, and I've got some working tests which seemed fine to me. Then I've tried running the tests with SQLite, which I found out to be a very nice database. I've had heard of it a couple times since I started with SQLObject, but never got the time to figure out what it was about. It ends up that installing and setting up SQLite was a snap. Ready to go, run the tests. Two failing. Ops, I had forgot to implement the DELETE RESTRICT constraint for the other databases. It worked for Postgres because it was handled by the database. Fixed that one and checked in the work so far to cascadegeddon-branch (suggestive name eh?).

This morning I felt that it would be interesting to put my app to use the constraints and see how it would behave. The app itself is a complete rewrite of an application to keep track of samples in a laboratory (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the lab name), and has a fairly large set of classes. The old app was a Powerbuilder-based app, using Sybase. During the development, we used PostgreSQL, and this week we are working on getting Sybase support working on SQLObject to move the app over. I received a couple of CSV files, which I had to massage to get into a reasonable shape for later import into the system. For massaging and importing, I wrote a small class behaved like a mix of list and dict. I used python's csv module to parse the files and populate an instance of this class, modify the table structure and then dump back to another file. Then, after all of this, I was able to use the same class, together with SQLObject to import record by record (instead of using the database features) so that it works cross-database. After adding the constraints, my import script failed to import 145 records out of around 60k, because they failed to pass the constraints. That was a very good thing, at least worth the time I spent to implement the constraints ;)

So, if that wasn't enough fun, I used postgresql_autodoc, which is a perl script to dump a database to some interesting formats like Dia, HTML, XML and dot (part of the graphviz package) for documentation purposes, and then used dot to generate this image, which shows the tables and their relationships (in this case, the foreign key constraints).

Read: Zope3 + SQLObject = Fun!

Topic: Fine malt links Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: An Interpreter Prompt on the AST Branch

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use