The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Javascript Convert...?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
Javascript Convert...? Posted: Nov 5, 2003 1:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: Javascript Convert...?
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

I never like Javascript. Still don't. But I still find myself drawn to DHTML in interfaces. It's more responsive, and frequently a lot easier to implement (even if I'm still a Javascript novice).

Most recently I used sorttable in a project. It was far easier to implement than a server-side sorting, especially if you want to sort orthogonally from search terms or other selectors, or handle multiple sortable tables in the same page. And it gives a better user experience to boot. I'm not sure about the browser compatibility, but the application already has high browser requirements (since it include a WYSIWYG editor) so I'm not too concerned.

Since I'm still a server-side programmer, I made a few extensions to make it easier to customize. You can add a sortval attribute to a table cell, which will be used for sorting instead of the contents of the cell, and a sortsuppress="1" attribute to column headers to suppress sorting on that cell. This way I can use nicely-formatted dates like "Yesterday, 8:42am" in my cells, but put the timestamp in the sortval attribute to sort on. The modified code is here.

I'm very pleased with the result. Cheers to Stuart Langridge for a nice bit of code. (His expandable tree code was also helpful)

Read: Javascript Convert...?

Topic: Fixing Windows shortcuts Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ZODB Should Use More Memory

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use