The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Tales from the Crypt, Zope 3 and XP

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sidnei da Silva

Nickname: dreamcatch

Sidnei da Silva is a dirty little brazilian python hacker.
Tales from the Crypt, Zope 3 and XP Posted: Oct 1, 2003 5:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Sidnei da Silva.
Original Post: Tales from the Crypt, Zope 3 and XP
Feed Title: dreamcatcher.homeunix.org
Feed URL: http://dreamcatcher.homeunix.org/categories.rdf?category=Python
Feed Description: making your dreams come true
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Sidnei da Silva
Latest Posts From dreamcatcher.homeunix.org

Advertisement
Tales from the Crypt, Zope 3 and XP

Hello everyone, I'm not dead, but working like if was about to. :) We are on the final mile for a Zope 3 project which involves SQLObject integration and is going to be backed by Sybase (which reminds me that I should actually test it with Sybase, IIRC!). Currently we are deploying with Postgres, which happens to have been exceptionally nice this far. As for myself, I've never used Postgres before, and I feel like I didn't learnt anything new except for setting up the infamous pg_hba.conf. Not because I didn't wanted to, but because SQLObject does all the dirty work for me ;) All I've had to do this far is use some drop table xxx here and there, when Zope doesn't want to behave the way it should.

School is working out fine as well, except that is boring to do so much homework. Sometimes I really think about dropping it alltogether. Oh well...

Yesterday, there was a seminar on J2EE, on my Analysis class, and I didn't liked it. IMHO Zope 3 can go much further with some whipping on the developers. One thing that made me feel a bit uncomfortable though was the level of documentation that there is about J2EE on Sun's site. Humm... we really need to improve on that.

I started reading the Planning Extreme Programming book yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. Really smooth reading, and with a twist of humor that is really needed if you want to catch the developer's attention. Though the book is not primarily directed to developers (they say the main target are the management people), I really recommend any developer to read it, as it also helps you to understand why that management guy keeps pushing you more and more and how to get him off of your neck (I have too much to do!).

Also this week, I've been fixing DAV issues in Plone and the Word -> HTML transform in Archetypes, which by coincidence I had tried just the week before. Got it running on my box and then helped some long time friends to fix it on their Red Hat (blargh!) box, where wvWare didn't want to cooperate. If you have ArchExample, Archetypes, PortalTransforms, Plone, Zope, CMFQuickInstaller, wvWare (phew!) and a swiss army knife, you can try it out. Just get the ArchExample package installed (using CMFQuickInstaller, of course) and see it at work. If you setup the content_type_registry to create an Article for .doc extension, you can happily mount your Zope in, say, Windows Webfolder stuff and drag-and-drop a Word doc for your publishing pleasure. Personally, I use cadaver, which seems to be the only stable way to get some conversation with all the WebDAV implementations out there. If you don't know what the heck I'm talking, don't mind. I may probably provide an External Method for setting up this. Still don't know what I'm talking about? Man, you should join the folks at Zope-PT (that is, if you can read portuguese) and grow your knowledge with them. I've seen that group jump from a mere 0-3 messages a week to a whooping 10 messages a day in a matter of weeks! I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the government opened the doors to Free Software, and lots of people are looking for a Zope programmer around here. Humm...

But the great news is that I've got a thumbs up from my 'manager in law' to spend a weekend with the folks at Async, doing all sort of crazy stuff, from ZODB hacking to PyGTK ramblings. I can't forget to discuss with them a PyGTK frontend for Zope 3, which is a planned feature for this Zope 3 project I'm doing.

TODO:

• Buy a backpack
  • Check if my brother can take me to the airport on the Wed evening
  • Write a facade folder implementation for Mr. Everitt and his crazy requisites. (He wants to make it possible for designers to see extensions on the skin files from Plone -- which have no extensions by default and that breaks stupid Dreamweaver)
  • Finish security parts 2-17 of Zope 3 project
  • Finish reading the XP book
  • Don't fall apart!

Read: Tales from the Crypt, Zope 3 and XP

Topic: Online music Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python glossary for the standard Python tutorial

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use