The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Branching Practices

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ian Bicking

Nickname: ianb

Ian Bicking is a freelance programmer
Branching Practices Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:24 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ian Bicking.
Original Post: Branching Practices
Feed Title: Ian Bicking
Feed URL: http://www.ianbicking.org/feeds/atom.xml
Feed Description: Thoughts on Python and Programming.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ian Bicking
Latest Posts From Ian Bicking

Advertisement

Bill de hSra has a good post on Subversion branching practices.

So here's a Python-specific quandary: how should tagging happen exactly?

Into the buildutils svtag command I've built this process:

• Copy from Project/trunk (current directory) to Project/tags/version
  • Check out the new version into ../Project-version
  • Edit setup.py to change the version (if necessary), and setup.cfg to remove tag_svn_repository and tag_build = dev
  • Edit setup.py in the trunk to have the next version
  • Commit all changes

It ends up being three commits, which is a little annoying. And, technically, I'm editing a tag, even if it is a very minor edit.

Another issue -- do people have any particular tricks for keeping their checkouts up to date? I just have a shell script that does an svn up for each directory, and another for doing svn stat -u on all my "active" projects. But I don't use the scripts as regularly as I should, nor do I keep the list of active projects up to date. And it's all kind of vague anyway -- I run lots of things from svn checkouts even if I am not necessarily tracking every development on the project.

I'm also curious about tools built on Subversion for handling branches better. One of the commenters points to Subclipse, which uses a property to track tags. But it doesn't seem to describe what exactly it is doing and what that tag means. svk also uses a special property for tracking merges, which is probably better documented. I'm curious how half-heartedly I can use svk (this page isn't actually that helpful) -- can I just use it as a better frontend to Subversion? Will it work okay if other developers aren't using svk?

Indexing of repositories and general tracking also remains relevent, both locally (what do I track?) and globally (what versions of things exist out there?)

Incidentally, I would be very interested to hear how exactly people are using svn (or svk) on their machines. Like, the play-by-play of every non-obvious command they use, script they have, or whatever.

Read: Branching Practices

Topic: Guido-NYC vids are up: Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Will Python dominate after Ruby on Rails?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use