The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Hello from my new server

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Abe Fettig

Nickname: abe

Abe Fettig is a software developer who specializes in moving bits of text around the internet.
Hello from my new server Posted: Sep 26, 2003 3:52 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Abe Fettig.
Original Post: Hello from my new server
Feed Title: Abe Fettig's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.fettig.net/xml/rss2.xml?flav=rss
Feed Description: Abe Fettig writes software. This is his weblog.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Abe Fettig
Latest Posts From Abe Fettig's Weblog

Advertisement
If you're reading this, it means that fettig.net has successfully moved to its new home - a virtual server hosted by tummy.com. I wasn't particularly unhappy with my old host, but at $25/month for a whole virtual server, this was too good a deal to pass up (thanks to the Twisted mailing list for mentioning tummy.com, and thanks to tummy.com for hosting cvs.twistedmatrix.com for free, which got them mentioned on the mailing list)

So now I have a my own little server, running Debian Linux, on which I'm free to install my own software, run funky server processes, and pretty much do whatever I want within the limits of the disk space and bandwidth I've been allocated. Of course, the server itself only exists in software, but that's no concern of mine :-).

So far the service has been a dream. My server was up and running within five minutes of filling out the order form, the connection is fast, and I've had no problems with downtime. The customer service has been very good, too. I wasn't expecting to get any help with administration - my server, my job to keep up with security updates - so I was highly impressed when, only a few hours after the news broke about the ssh security flaw, I recieved an email from the tummy.com people informing me about the problem and listing step-by-step instructions for updating the ssh server on Red Hat and Debian.

I'm quite excited about the possibilities raised by having my own server again. Stay tuned.

Read: Hello from my new server

Topic: Home office perils... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python eggs

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use