The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Imaginary Python books that I would like to read

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jarno Virtanen

Nickname: jajvirta

Jarno Virtanen is a university student for life, it seems, and a part time software developer
Imaginary Python books that I would like to read Posted: Sep 26, 2003 12:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Jarno Virtanen.
Original Post: Imaginary Python books that I would like to read
Feed Title: Python owns us
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: A weblog about Python from the view point of Jarno Virtanen.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Jarno Virtanen
Latest Posts From Python owns us

Advertisement

Here is a list of some imaginary Python related books that I would like to read:

(Warning: contains a lot of really old and oft-repeated jokes.)

Guido van Rossum: The design and evolution of Python.

Guido van Rossum's extensive write-up of Python's design and evolution. Covers the whole life-span of Python, from the famous Christmas Vacation That Never Ended to The Short Period of Introducing New Features Without Too Much Consideration aka. How List Comprehensions Made Into the Language and finally to future visions of Python after the version 3000. (Note that the book was partly written in the future.)

Fredrik Lundh: Python Standard Library Uncensored.

The "directors cut" of the highly useful Python Standard Library contains all the posts by Mr. Lundh that were censored from the original version of the book. Here, in the uncensored version, Mr. Lundh explains the secrets of basic Python to newbies with a blunt and sarcastic style leaving no doubts of his sharp writing style. One almost feels sorry for the clueless newbies that get cruel yet helpful words from Mr. Lundh, who explains in the introduction that most of the posts in the uncensored version were written before his first morning coffee or after 10 hour long C debugging sessions. "And, let's face it, some people really are a bit stupid," adds Mr. Lundh.

Jim Fulton: Understanding Zope Internals.

This extensive 12 book series is a must-have to every Zope developer needing thorough understanding on what's going on beneath the covers of Zope. The introductory parts, from I to IV, teach you, for example, how to fluently read and write raw Python pickle data, how to organize and design a thousand-fold multiple-inheritance tree in just few years and how to use every aspect of the Python programming language and still manage to run Zope in new Python versions.

Kilgore Trout: Tim Peters: My ten years on auto-pilot on python-list; or, How the Turing Test was beaten.

The fictitious character in Kurt Vonnegut's books, scifi-writer Kilgore Trout, writes a fascinating story of a robot (and its copies) that was programmed to help newbies on a mailing list devoted to programming language Python. The robot is designed to beat the challenge set by Alan Turing in his Turing Test. Timbot, as he is ironically referred to on python-list, beats the test "hands" down and fools the whole programming community by expanding "his" scope to enhancing and fixing the Python language and its implementation.

Michael Hudson: How I Fell in Love with Metaclasses; or, Bytecodehacks just weren't enough.

Where Michael Hudson gives a thorough treatment of his long journey in trying to control every aspect of his programming environment. "Everything just seemed too easy in Python and I wanted to see if there are ways I can get my head explode programming Python. I succeeded, I must confess" Mr. Hudson starts his book. Thereon unfolds the story of a brilliant young hacker who Just Can't Get Enough. Along with the book comes ear-plugs and a helmet which keep your brains in one piece.

Leonard Richardson: Python Cookbook, Part II: The Desserts.

After the highly successful Python Cookbook comes the long-awaited sequel from Mr. Richardson. Richardson explains over a hundred delightful dessert recipes which complete dinners for which Python Cookbook provided the main course. Recipes include the infamous chili-flavored tiramisu, The Long And Complicated Yet Deadly Simple Dessert That Has A Really Long Name and n + 1 dimensional ginger bread.

Martijn Faassen and Fox Mulder: The Secret History of PSU.

This book reveals all the secrets of the universum-wide conspiracy controlled by the PSU. Faassen and Mulder explain the conspiracy, its connections to FBI, CIA, KGB and C++ Standards Committee and Time Travel Trip Maps in beautiful pie charts, Venn-diagrams, n dimensional Bezier-curves and plain English. The story starts with the explanation of the origins oNO CARRIER

Read: Imaginary Python books that I would like to read

Topic: out of order Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: On the choice of programming languages

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use