The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
SOA : Synchronous vs asynchronous

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Simon Brown

Nickname: simonbrown

Simon Brown is a Java developer, architect and author.
SOA : Synchronous vs asynchronous Posted: Mar 16, 2005 4:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Simon Brown.
Original Post: SOA : Synchronous vs asynchronous
Feed Title: Simon Brown's weblog
Feed URL: http://www.simongbrown.com/blog/feed.xml?flavor=rss20&category=java
Feed Description: My thoughts on Java, software development and technology.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Simon Brown
Latest Posts From Simon Brown's weblog

Advertisement

In the scenario that I mentioned in "What is SOA?", messaging was used as the transport mechanism to shift data from one node to another. Each node was effectively a listener that accepted a message, processed it and forwarded on the enriched message to another node. By design, this was an asynchronous architecture. This leads me to the question, can services in SOA be synchronous or asynchronous?

To answer the first part of this question, we only need to look at the defacto technical implementation for SOA, web services, which are typically called in a synchronous manner. Looking outside of this technology space, calls to services residing on an enterprise service bus (ESB) such as TIBCO are also typically synchronous, even though the underlying messaging infrastructure might be asynchronous.

So, what about asynchronous services? When trying to imagine services, I try to find an example in the real world and map this back to SOA. Examples of an asynchronous service might be paying a bill at the post office or paying in a cheque to your bank. Although there is a synchronous aspect, typically you don't wait around for these services to complete. Instead, you wait for the acknowledgment of receipt and your payment is forwarded on to another party. This maps well onto how a service might be implemented. The caller makes a request to a service end-point. The end-point receives the request and sends an acknowledgment back to the caller. The service then either processes the request or forwards it on somewhere else. In the latter case, the service is basically operating as a broker for your request.

When trying to define a service, I don't think it matters whether the service is synchronous or asynchronous. After all, this just specifies how clients interact with that service. I also don't see why SOA can't contain a mix of synchronous and asynchronous services, since both are useful when building solutions.

Read: SOA : Synchronous vs asynchronous

Topic: WordPress 1.5 Plugin - Strip “nofollow” tag from comment URLs Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: BPEL - a healthy #7!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use