The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Netbeans 4: Wow... absolutely smashing

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Dave Johnson

Nickname: snoopdave

Dave Johnson is the original developer of the Roller Weblogger
Netbeans 4: Wow... absolutely smashing Posted: Mar 12, 2005 11:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Dave Johnson.
Original Post: Netbeans 4: Wow... absolutely smashing
Feed Title: Blogging Roller - Java Category
Feed URL: http://www.kattare.com/error403.kvws
Feed Description: Dave Johnson's weblog on Open Source, Java, Dot-Net, and the Roller Weblogger.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Dave Johnson
Latest Posts From Blogging Roller - Java Category

Advertisement

Joseph B. Ottinger: So far... "Wow" and "Well, it's okay."

I found the installation to be a breeze, which isn't too much of a surprise. It found the various JVMs on my machine, including 1.5, which was good, I suppose.

It looks absolutely smashing. (That's good.) The development pane is easy to understand at first glance, also good (although note that I'm not a rank newbie to Netbeans, so my prior experience may factor in here.) It's pretty fast, too, which is good to see. Maybe this will help shut up the SWT hordes.

Lately, I've been working on making the switch to Netbeans 4.X (I'm using both 4.0 and 4.1-beta). My expectations were pretty low due to my past experience with Netbeans 3.X, but Netbeans 4.X is great. It's a whole new IDE, the Ant integration is awesome, and 4.1 adds the refactoring I need to make the switch. Plus, it's fast. I have to agree with Charles Ditzel, the tables have turned and now both Netbeans (and IDEA) seem to be faster and more responsive than Eclipse.

Unfortunately, my Eclipse addiction is still not entirely under control. The one area that needs work in both IDEA and Netbeans is the source-code control integration, I still have to fire up Eclipse when I need to synchronize with the CVS repository. I feel like I'm flying blind without Team Synchronization view.

Read: Netbeans 4: Wow... absolutely smashing

Topic: [Mar 3, 2005 16:42 PST] 12 Links Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: [Mar 3, 2005 11:43 PST] 8 Links

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use