The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JavaSkills Conquering Mobile World

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Fred Grott

Nickname: shareme

Fred Grott is Lead Developer-CEO of ShareMe Technologies LLC -The Mobile Future
JavaSkills Conquering Mobile World Posted: Aug 10, 2003 10:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Fred Grott.
Original Post: JavaSkills Conquering Mobile World
Feed Title: ShareMe Technologies-The Mobile Future
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: A Weblog about Java programming and digital convergence on mobile devices in such areas as P2P and collaborative technology. Old Archive .
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Fred Grott
Latest Posts From ShareMe Technologies-The Mobile Future

Advertisement
I wanted to take some time and give an analysis of where Java skills on Mobile devices is headed and maybe how you can prepare for this new future. According to this SD Times article there are 3 areas of java in Mobile devices, RTSJ, J2ME, J2SE special parts or all of J2SE(ie personaljava).

So what are the java skills in common between RTSJ, J2ME and areas of personalJava/J2SE being ported to J2ME? For one you are modifying your OOP approach to bundle like minded methods in one class. One example all methods workign with RecordStores can be put in one class even though you may be working with more thna one record store.

Than you are avoiding those java constructs that increase number of objects and heap sizes. One example of this is the choice of suing StringBuffer instead of String in conversion code such as used in RecordStore class to work with RMS which stores data in string form. Avoid nested statemtns in the form of if statements.

Group your utility methods and global variables in a Cache class. Most menus need a back and exit commands choices displayed to user. In handsets prepare for your appliction to recover from being paused not only due to incoming calls and SMS but it may be paused by user as well in most cases.

In passing objects from mobile client to server realize that there is an object impendence missmatch and you need to use the appriporiate protocol technology that deals with this issue. For example J2ME only has one hash object type whereas J2SE and J2EE have several has object types.

Be aware that depending upon end customer requirements you are either writing to a 3 year old spec as it exists in the average mobile device or writing to the new spec for thsoe new mobile devices coming out this fall. Also be prepared to review Vendor bug databses. Why?

In the mobile world although you may be developing for say MIDP1.0, Vendor A may have MIDP1.03, Vendor B may have MIDP1.02, and Vendor C may have MIDP1.04. This is due to absence of easy firmware upgrades on the devices, an issue that vendors are now addressng and making head way in eliminating this headache. Basically you modifiy your code according to the work arounds found in the bug databases and do not forget to check the SUN J2ME one as well in this process.

Well that is it for now..more to come later.

Read: JavaSkills Conquering Mobile World

Topic: RDF Name Service Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Finally a JCP member

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use