The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
BEA joins forces with HP on Linux push -

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Vinny Carpenter

Nickname: vscarpente

Vinny is a Java developer/architect working with Java, J2EE, OO, Linux, OpenSource.
BEA joins forces with HP on Linux push - Posted: Aug 9, 2003 8:17 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Vinny Carpenter.
Original Post: BEA joins forces with HP on Linux push -
Feed Title: Vinny Carpenter's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.j2eegeek.com/error.html
Feed Description: Welcome to my blog. I am a total Java geek that lives in Milwaukee, making my living as an architect/developer, spending all my time with Java, J2EE, OO, Linux, and open source. In my spare time, when I am not in front of my computers, I spend every other minute with my other loves: My wife, books, music, guitars, Formula-1 racing and StarGate. Check out my blog @ http://www.j2eegeek.com/blog
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Vinny Carpenter
Latest Posts From Vinny Carpenter's Blog

Advertisement
Another smart move on the part of BEA Systems in partnering with HP and pushing Linux to lower the total cost of ownership of the whole application stack and platform. Saw this article on CNET's News.com and this is great news. According to the press release, HP and BEA will create bundles of software, hardware and associated services that will make it easier for companies to move their systems to Linux-based applications. I'm sure there will be more coming on this as LinuxWorld continues this week.

This is also great for Linux, not that it really needs any help getting corporate backing. It seems like the Penguin really just keeps on marching and it set to move past the web/file/print server role it was typically relegated to. In fact, I really believe Linux is taking a bigger chuck out of Sun than it is of Microsoft and this will take it's toll on Sun. How long can Sun survive without a strategy? In the past, it has seemed to me that Sun's entire business model and strategic plan was build on destroying Microsoft. I'm not sure that's really a goal that's going to make you money. As a ex-shareholder, I watched my Sun holdings lose over 90% of it's value and I kept hoping to see a glimmer of hope. Any sign of a strategy or vision from the management team, but I still haven't seen it.

I'm glad we have companies like IBM, BEA, Oracle and many others that have really shepherded Java into the mature, enterprise platform that is has become and I just hope Sun doesn't do something boneheader to ruin it all. I'm based my career on Java like millions of other people and I'd hate to see it all go to waste.

Read: BEA joins forces with HP on Linux push -

Topic: Query Disparate Data Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: McNealy almost gets it

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use