The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Goodbye Groovy - Hello Ruby

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Vinny Carpenter

Nickname: vscarpente

Vinny is a Java developer/architect working with Java, J2EE, OO, Linux, OpenSource.
Goodbye Groovy - Hello Ruby Posted: Feb 28, 2005 6:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Vinny Carpenter.
Original Post: Goodbye Groovy - Hello Ruby
Feed Title: Vinny Carpenter's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.j2eegeek.com/error.html
Feed Description: Welcome to my blog. I am a total Java geek that lives in Milwaukee, making my living as an architect/developer, spending all my time with Java, J2EE, OO, Linux, and open source. In my spare time, when I am not in front of my computers, I spend every other minute with my other loves: My wife, books, music, guitars, Formula-1 racing and StarGate. Check out my blog @ http://www.j2eegeek.com/blog
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Vinny Carpenter
Latest Posts From Vinny Carpenter's Blog

Advertisement

I guess the wheels are coming off the Groovy bandwagon and I am jumping off before it's too late. I've blogged about Groovy before and how I had drunk the Kool-Aid. I loved Groovy and that love was based on Java and the fact that I could use my existing Java classes in my Groovy apps and vica versa. But the JSR hasn't brought the excitement to the Groovy cause that I had hoped and so I am now officially jumping off the bandwagon.

I've tinkered with Ruby before – Dave Thomas makes a great case to explore Ruby or any other programming language to expand your horizons and learn to think differently. I guess I finally get a chance to take a serious look at Ruby and see if it can fill the gap I currently have for simple tasks that don't need all the features of Java. I'm sure most developers write simple 'one-off' applications that read the database, send emails, parse a file and stuff it in the database, etc. Ruby seems like a nice solution to fill that role at face value.

The only apprehension I have with Groovy and Ruby and many of the other technologies out there is the introduction of these technologies in the enterprise. Like most developers, I have a full-time job where I work with a team of developers with varied skills. As the technical lead, I am always looking for 'things' that make our development team deliver a better solution, faster and cheaper. But the introduction of anything new comes with consequences – Developers need to get comfortable with the new technology and feel confident writing code using that technology. Support people need to understand the new 'thing' and how to debug, explore issues, etc. All these factors have to be taken into consideration before exposing the developers to something new. I need to spend more time reading the Ruby Insurgency presentation from Dave Thomas, which is a nice presentation on how to successfully introduce Ruby into your organization.

Read: Goodbye Groovy - Hello Ruby

Topic: JPackIt Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Looking Glass Under Windows XP HowTo

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use