The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Re: RSS Aggregators are the killer app

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Nick Lothian

Nickname: nicklothia

Nick Lothian is Java Developer & Team Leader
Re: RSS Aggregators are the killer app Posted: Feb 23, 2005 5:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Nick Lothian.
Original Post: Re: RSS Aggregators are the killer app
Feed Title: BadMagicNumber
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Badmagicnumber
Feed Description: Java, Development and Me
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Nick Lothian
Latest Posts From BadMagicNumber

Advertisement

Ted talks about how he expects RSS aggregators to start chewing CPU time.

I've done some experiments in this area, and Bayesian classification on 4000 items a day would currently be an interesting performance tuning exercise. In my experience it isn't CPU bound, though - it's I/O bound.

I have a few ideas about things that might perform better that Bayesian classification anyway, but these techniques (as well as things like Latent Semantic Indexing) will be more CPU hungry, though.

Everytime I think about trying to do LSI (or even Vector Space Search) on a couple of million items I start looking at the vector processor units on modern video cards and start drooling. Forget the CPU - off load that processing to the GPU. There still will be problems with disk and memory I/O, but the processing power is there.

(A couple of times I've actually began investigating this. It would be an excellent project to add GPU co-processing to Classifier4J and/or Lucene. JOGL may be the best way to do it.)

GPGPU.org is a decent site for more stuff about this.

Read: Re: RSS Aggregators are the killer app

Topic: Nice (and I mean nice!) tips for all Swing users out there. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Search with style in Swing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use