The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Don't Forget About the Application

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
Don't Forget About the Application Posted: Dec 22, 2004 2:34 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: Don't Forget About the Application
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

Simon Johnston has an interesting comment on selling dev tools/environments. Sometimes when he goes to customers sites, he first pitches all the fancy JSP/JSF front-end stuff Rational/IBM has, then he shows off the fancy schema stuff, and then...

So with all of this cool and exciting technology why do the [customer's] faces looking back at me not look happy? Because, while all of these things may be necessary to the finished application, they are not the application. What I want, what I need, is the tool that helps me build the application and of course although there are certain known application patterns I will need to define my own or at least customize what is provided. I need the tool to provide guidance and structure so that I understand that I need pages, schema, classes and when and why I need them. Today's developer tools (and not just those from IBM) focus very much on the individual task, a better page designer, a better schema designer and very little time on application design.

My understanding of software factories is that they're an attempt at solving that problem, needing a "tool to provide guidance and structure so that I understand that I need pages, schema, classes and when and why I need them." I've only listened to Udell's audio interview on the topic and quickly flipped through the book, so my knowledge of software factories is pure hype-fueled. It seems like the idea is that a vendor just provided a bunch of template/prototype code and code-builders that are domain specific and extendable. So, you might have the "HR software factory" that comes pre-loaded with a bunch of HR-centric stuff. The HR department shells out the bucks to get the factory, and then customizes it. Like I said though, my knowledge is just based on the marketing message.

I'm sure Rational/IBM has an equivalent type of thing, maybe MDA? I haven't quite figured out how MDA is different than CASE stuff, but I haven't read anything about it, so I'm probably just hung up on the "Model" part.

Read: Don't Forget About the Application

Topic: Google Suggest Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MarsEdit 1.0 released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use