The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Thunderbird ... Blackberry ... LDAP ... One Address book?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Alan Williamson

Nickname: awilliamso

Alan Williamson is chief architect of Blog-City and BlueDragon in addition to his online ramblings
Thunderbird ... Blackberry ... LDAP ... One Address book? Posted: Dec 13, 2004 9:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Alan Williamson.
Original Post: Thunderbird ... Blackberry ... LDAP ... One Address book?
Feed Title: Technical @ alan.blog-city.com
Feed URL: http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
Feed Description: (Technical) the rants of a java developer trapped in the body of a java developer!
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Alan Williamson
Latest Posts From Technical @ alan.blog-city.com

Advertisement
What I need is a global address book. Sound easy doesn't it? Well it's not as easy as you think. I have a Blackberry with its own address book, I have Thunderbird with its own address book and finally I have my own paper-based address book. What I want is a solution that allows me to update one and they all have the same information.

I have looked at LDAP, hoping there would be a solution in there. However this is an area that is fraught with danger. LDAP seems straight forward enough for lookup information. Thunderbird can only lookup LDAP entries. Blackberry can import LDIF files, but can't export.  I don't want a solution where I have to continually export to each device/application when I make a change.

However, finding an application that will give me the ability to update the LDAP directory, then you are whistling. Sure, plenty of apps to update/edit LDAP, but they are all way to geeky and not at all suited to the job of handling a simple address book.

So at this point I am still lost. I *think* i want to use LDAP, because it even has a lookup in my WebMail, which means I have access to my address book anywhere. But LDAP isn't completing the other side of the equation; namely updating and maintenance of the data.

Surely this problem of address books has been solved. Or is everything per-application? I have tried Google'ing this but haven't come up with any solutions.

Read: Thunderbird ... Blackberry ... LDAP ... One Address book?

Topic: ClientJava.com Interview: BlogBridge creator Pito Salas Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: EA's Overtime Pay Problems

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use