The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
EA's Overtime Pay Problems

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
EA's Overtime Pay Problems Posted: Dec 7, 2004 9:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: EA's Overtime Pay Problems
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

Running

Have you heard about the lawsuits brought by EA employees about unpaid overtime? The issue is a lawsuit from several employees saying they should get paid overtime for all the hours they put in at the end of the release. Their argument is pretty sound, as I understand it. The folks I heard in the Morning Edition segment were all told what to do it their job: draw this picture, play this segment of music, etc. Under the law (Calf. I guess), you're due overtime if the work you do is "is not creative or original and is controlled by supervisors."

A Mercury article on the topic has an excellent insight on the topic:

"I recognize that at the heart of the matter is a core truth: The work is getting harder, the tasks are more complex and the hours needed to accomplish them have become a burden," Rueff wrote. "We haven't yet cracked the code on how to fully minimize the crunches in the development and production process. Net, there are things we just need to fix."

That's the real problem with long hours in the software world: as an industry, we haven't figured out how to do otherwise. I think this is largely because, in our industry, we don't spend a lot of time reflecting on what works and doesn't work in our day-to-day life, and then doing something to make ours lives better. The unconscious mood on that is that there's time for that, my friend, no time at all:

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else - if you ran very fast for a long time as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

Read: EA's Overtime Pay Problems

Topic: [Nov 23, 2004 07:36 PST] 15 Links Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Internet Explorer (IE) versus Firefox: A security viewpoint

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use