The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Fullscreen for writing

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Winters

Nickname: cwinters

Daytime: Java hacker; nighttime: Perl hacker; sleeptime: some of both.
Fullscreen for writing Posted: Nov 23, 2004 5:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Chris Winters.
Original Post: Fullscreen for writing
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/search/registrar.php?domain=jroller.com®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Java, programming and technology, usually in that order.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Chris Winters
Latest Posts From cwinters.com

Advertisement
Merlin recently posted a description of Ulysses, an OS X text editor targeted at creative writing. I don't do much writing anymore (can you tell?} but I went to the site anyway for a quick looksee. One of the features that struck me was fullscreen mode. Maybe it's that the background and text colors are different than the GUI-screen version, but it strikes me as very different. Sure, Word has this, OpenOffice has this, but AFAICT both are just GUI versions that obscure other windows rather than just-text fullscreen versions -- you still see bolded text, styles applied to headlines, headers and footers, etc. It's also easy to get this fullscreen just-text behavior in XEmacs (and presumably Emacs) as well.

But it's more likely the fullscreen + different background tickles some nostalgia for WordPerfect 5.1/DOS, which apparently still has a community around it, cool. I used this WP51 extensively in my first three jobs after college (all FT writing jobs) and was quite proficient at it -- I even won a t-shirt from WordPerfect magazine for a macro that created a checkerboard on the screen. (Whoop-de-do!) All that knowledge is long gone, but the feeling that GUI word processing programs are massive overkill for writing big blocks of text remains. Is there a term for this bare-metal nostalgia?

Read: Fullscreen for writing

Topic: The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: [Nov 10, 2004 05:53 PST] 25 Links

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use