The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Chapter 10 on Transactions off to Tech Edit

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Matt Raible

Nickname: mraible

Matt Raible is a J2EE Consultant in Denver, Colorado.
Chapter 10 on Transactions off to Tech Edit Posted: Nov 16, 2004 11:46 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Matt Raible.
Original Post: Chapter 10 on Transactions off to Tech Edit
Feed Title: Raible Designs ~ We Build Web Apps
Feed URL: http://static.raibledesigns.com/500.html
Feed Description: Opinions and tips on how to build web applications using Java. Currently using Hibernate, Struts, XHTML, CSS, Ant, JUnit and XDoclet.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Matt Raible
Latest Posts From Raible Designs ~ We Build Web Apps

Advertisement
I had quite a run this past weekend and managed to crank out the last 18 pages for Chapter 10 between Saturday night and Sunday evening. I wanted to finish before leaving for ApacheCon in Vegas, so it was nice to reach that goal.

I think you'll enjoy this chapter. Spring's Transaction API is very rich and makes it very easy to use transactions in your applications. The TransactionTemplate is nice for programmatic transaction demarcation, but the TransactionProxyFactoryBean makes it even easier - allowing you to define all your transaction attributes in XML. Furthermore, you can use Commons Attributes or JDK 5 Annotations - both which work very well. If you want to use JDK 5 Annotations, you'll have to checkout and build Spring's "samples" module from CVS. It's "tiger" sub-project has the Annotation classes you'll need, as well as examples in the "test" directory.

I'm still amazed at how Spring makes J2EE development so much easier. If the J2EE 5 spec doesn't simplify J2EE (like it's supposed to), it's nice to know that Spring will continue to do so.

BTW, Spring 1.1.2 was released on Sunday. If you're stuck using JDK 1.3, there's a couple of bugs and you might want to grab a nightly build (if you need to upgrade). If you can wait, 1.1.3 should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Read: Chapter 10 on Transactions off to Tech Edit

Topic: Spring-Rich: Enabling Strategies Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Swing Answers From Scott Violet

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use