The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Don't Be Afraid to Drop the SOAP

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
Don't Be Afraid to Drop the SOAP Posted: Oct 4, 2004 5:29 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: Don't Be Afraid to Drop the SOAP
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement
Man. Did the guys behind naming SOAP realize how much play there would be from the witty geeks? First we have Don Box giving a talk on SOAP from a bath tub on the stage. Now we have Don't Be Afraid to Drop the SOAP. This piece goes through the experience of Sam Tregar, a developer who added SOAP support to the CMS system Bricolage, with high expectations. Now he is only a new project, Krang, and he discusses why he is using a simpler XML approach rather than going down the SOAPy road again. Conclusion SOAP isn't a bad technology, but it does have limits. My experience developing a SOAP interface for Bricolage taught me some important lessons that I've tried to apply to Krang. So far the experiment is a success, but Krang is young and problems may take time to appear. Does this mean you shouldn't use SOAP for your next project? Not necessarily. It does mean that you should take a close look at your requirements and consider whether an alternative implementation would help you avoid some of the pitfalls I've described. The best candidates for SOAP applications are lightweight network applications without significant performance requirements. If your application doesn't absolutely require network interaction, or if it will deal with large amounts of data then you should avoid SOAP. Maybe you can use TAR instead!

Read: Don't Be Afraid to Drop the SOAP

Topic: George W Bush and John Kerry are both Essex Boys! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Encapsulating Generic Types

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use