The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Do not use java.net.URL as a key in HashMap

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Alan Williamson

Nickname: awilliamso

Alan Williamson is chief architect of Blog-City and BlueDragon in addition to his online ramblings
Do not use java.net.URL as a key in HashMap Posted: Sep 25, 2004 5:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Alan Williamson.
Original Post: Do not use java.net.URL as a key in HashMap
Feed Title: Technical @ alan.blog-city.com
Feed URL: http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
Feed Description: (Technical) the rants of a java developer trapped in the body of a java developer!
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Alan Williamson
Latest Posts From Technical @ alan.blog-city.com

Advertisement
I ran into a subtle problem last week that had me wondering if it was the fault of SyndFeedInfo from the ROME project, or java.net.URL.

Basically what I was doing was getting a list of RSS URLs to poll, creating an instance of SyndFeedInfo and putting them into a HashMap for later use. I key the collection on the instance of the URL; since thats the one that is unique.

HashMap feedsToRead = new HashMap();

for ( my list of 30 elements ){

SyndFeedInfo feedInfo    = new SyndFeedInfo();
 feedInfo.setUrl( new URL( (String)row.get(0)) );
 feedInfo.setLastModified(Long.valueOf((String)row.get(1)).longValue());
 feedInfo.setETag( (String)row.get(2) );
 feedInfo.setFeedID( (String)row.get(3) );

feedsToRead.put( feedInfo.getUrl(), feedInfo );
 System.out.println( "[" + feedsToRead.size() + "]" );
}

Now when I did this with a list of 30 urls (all different, although some on the same host); the HashMap will result in a size of 9 elements!

I re jigged things a little and used the java.lang.String of the URL toString() as the key, then my HashMap reports 30 elements at the end of the exercise. As it should.

This has been a bug that has gone undetected for weeks in my code base and only after looking at another bug, did I find this strange behavior. After discussing this on the ROME list, it would appear that using java.net.URL as an object key on a HashMap is a bad idea due its implementation of equals(), which basically returns true if on the same host. Although in my examples, the hosts were technically different even though they all shared the same top-level domain.

I had never thought of looking at the equals() method of a common Java object. Ironically, I always take care when using custom-written objects when working with collections, but this one slipped by me.

Read: Do not use java.net.URL as a key in HashMap

Topic: [Sep 15, 2004 01:57 PDT] 4 Links Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 10 Things you should know about IT Training

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use