The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Taking advantage of native UI

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
John Martin

Nickname: lon3mato

John Martin is another lazy programmer.
Taking advantage of native UI Posted: Jul 8, 2003 8:36 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by John Martin.
Original Post: Taking advantage of native UI
Feed Title: The Lone Programmer
Feed URL: http://www.lonepixel.com/loneprog/javablogs-index.rdf
Feed Description: Just another lazy programmer. (Java and UI Design channels only.)
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by John Martin
Latest Posts From The Lone Programmer

Advertisement

I just read this short critique of SWT by Danno Ferrin where he says:

"One of the biggest problems I have with SWT is that the implementation is not cross platform, but is a separate undertaking for each platform. This leads to wildly different user experiences!"

I haven't spent much time with SWT, but I get the feeling that the Linux and Mac implementations are not as tight as their Windows cousin. Obviously, that's annoying if you're not a Windows user. I disagree though that separate UI implementations for each platform it is a weakness of SWT. In fact, I would consider it a strength. The unique UI widgets and paradigms on OS X, like the Dock or sliding accessory windows, are a major part of the Mac experience. Similarly, when Longhorn is released I'm guessing there will be significant new interface enhancements. Despite the divergence of the platforms, this is a Good Thing(TM). There is no point having a shiny new G5 running a shiny new OS if you're just going to run apps with dumbed down Swing or AWT interfaces. (I admit it's a little unfair to call Swing "dumbed down" - it's more of UI platform in itself.)

I guess the choice comes down to having consistency in your app between platforms, or consistency between the apps on a particular platform. I choose the latter. Time to check out SWT I think.

Read: Taking advantage of native UI

Topic: The Forgotten Standard Java API Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Struts and auto fill ... watch out =)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use