The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Another reason why Generics should have been in the VM, and not compiler sugar with Erasure

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
Another reason why Generics should have been in the VM, and not compiler sugar with Erasure Posted: Sep 13, 2004 10:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: Another reason why Generics should have been in the VM, and not compiler sugar with Erasure
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement
I like the 80's band Erasure, but not when it shows up in Java Generics. I know that there is a battle: backwards compatibility vs. no damn casts + give me info via the bytecode + I don't want someone to sneak in via other means to do what they want For some reason backwards compatibility seems to always win with Java. I know it is important, but sometimes you want to move on and evolve. I think we have reached that point, and Sun should move to Java 3 SE/EE/ME (or maybe Java 5000 or something!). The aim of backwards compatibility isn't even working unless you are under certain conditions. Come on. Let's free the Sun engineers from their "hmm, but how can we keep backwards compatibility" jail. Let them fly. Let them evole the language for the next level. Please! Large companies have to go through insane testing before they go from jdk 1.3 to 1.4 to 1.5 (or probably more are just on 1.3). So, let them deal with it (or choose to stay at 1.3 for legacy, and Java 5000 for new projects :)

Read: Another reason why Generics should have been in the VM, and not compiler sugar with Erasure

Topic: Loving LtU Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pnuts Updates (New built-in function: unuse, Bug fixes, etc.)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use