The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Why doesn't RDF (or XML) have a standard way of saying something else should be XML?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Joe Shelby

Nickname: acroyear

Joe Shelby is a senior software developer at ISX Corporation.
Why doesn't RDF (or XML) have a standard way of saying something else should be XML? Posted: Jul 29, 2004 1:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Joe Shelby.
Original Post: Why doesn't RDF (or XML) have a standard way of saying something else should be XML?
Feed Title: Joe's Java Jottings
Feed URL: http://www.blog-city.com/bc/
Feed Description: Notes, observations, and occasional other stuff on Java, with concentrations on Swing, XML, and the Semantic (Object) Web.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Joe Shelby
Latest Posts From Joe's Java Jottings

Advertisement

Over here, I rant a little about how RDF and the Semantic Object Web (FOAF in particular) are right now still technical failures because of the lack of a standard way to reference another RDF document. 

A single RDF file is not a web.  Its a graph at best, a collection of triples at worse.  A web involves a collection of said files, cross-referenced.  RDF does allow (provided people pick the same URI for a particular subject) multiple files to define properties of a subject.  However, they don't provide means for linking to the other RDF files that discuss that subject or anything that subject's related to.

How multiple RDF files become a single knowledge base is utterly undefined by the standards, and as such, the RDF can't be "surfed" to building up the knowledge the way a true web should (a-la WWW).

FOAF in particular suffers greatly for this.  I shouldn't have to come up with my own URIs for my friends and re-enter all of their data.  I should just have a file that references my friends URIs, which should be URLs to their own information (and their own friend's URIs), and a webcrawler surf the FOAF files to assemble a true graph.  THAT's a web.  FOAF doesn't even work as bookmark file.  Its a waste of time and effort in its current form.

Read: Why doesn't RDF (or XML) have a standard way of saying something else should be XML?

Topic: Things That Should Not Be Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Re: Objects and Wars

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use