The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
J2EE Redux, 9 months later

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Villela

Nickname: cvillela

Carlos Villela is a Java developer working mostly with web technologies and AOP.
J2EE Redux, 9 months later Posted: Jun 27, 2003 9:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Villela.
Original Post: J2EE Redux, 9 months later
Feed Title: That's sooo '82!
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/rss/cv?catname=Technical
Feed Description: Carlos Villela's weblog. Everyday life, everyday software development, everyday musings.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Villela
Latest Posts From That's sooo '82!

Advertisement
Yesterday, Chiara sent me a link to Rickard's J2EE Redux. Great to read that, 9 months later, now that I came to the same conclusions. I haven't read that post - I wasn't even reading blogs back then - and it's kinda funny that I ended up reinventing most of the things Rickard is talking about there, and made a lot of noise about it. I felt a little ashamed to be making all this buzz of it, months after somebody already walked the same path, but, you know what? If it's something I consider good and that deserves more attention, why not? :)

So, set back your clocks to Oct 16, and let's take a look at what Rickard has to say:

You can kind of use it at work tomorrow, if you use AspectJ or HyperJ or any of the other current packages that does AOP in Java

Hmm, guess we made a lot of progress, here, haven't we? Now we've got AspectWerkz, Nanning and JBoss-AOP, just to name the ones I saw being talked about the most. AspectJ is now an Eclipse project, and Hyper/J...well, it's still basically the same.

AOP, to me, is two things: first, you get to pick objects apart into smaller parts each of which has a nice clearly defined purpose. These parts can then be assembled to form big objects. If the parts are reasonably cleverly thought out they are very reusable.

I don't think Rickard's being as extreme as me, here - my objects are all empty, and entirely made of smaller and pretty testable parts, but the idea was already there, and it's still pretty much the same. And I must repeat this: I've never seen a system that's so reusable, and that has so little code to do what it does (even counting XML configuration files). It's all about the tools, buddy :)

Second, AOP is also about what most people would call "interceptors". That is, doing stuff before and after a method call on an object.

Anyone still doubts that interceptors rock? Recently, Cedric helped create a new kind of interceptor, triggered by a caller-side pointcut. Jonas implemented it in AspectWerkz, and I'm sure others will follow soon. Today, still, the most researched part of AOP is interceptors, and more powerful pointcut selection languages are coming around - just look at AspectWerkz' recent release, 0.6.3 - it's awesome :)

Well, in AspectJ there's a funky Java language extension that is used to define "joinpoints" which is basically a regular expression determining what classes should get this stuff. IMHO that's a sucky approach, because then you need to modify the interceptor each time you want to apply it to something new. In my own implementation I've used (... drumroll ...) XML to define these relationships.

Interesting to know that people already disliked AspectJ because of the language extensions back then. I didn't even bothered to look at AOP until a decent pure-Java AOP framework came out, the difference here is that Rickard had the time and skills to implement his own AOP framework at the time. I certainly didn't. :)

After all these months, we had some talk about whether using XML to configure aspects or not, and I must say I'm particularily inclined to think that every configuration should be on a configuration file, even if it's not XML - I love WebWork's views.properties, for example - contrast that to Struts' struts-config.xml -, and passing around lots of hard-coded strings and .class attributes means configuration to me. But Jon Tirsen has pretty valid points to suggest that configuring things using plain Java code is a good thing, refactoring support being the strongest of them, to me, and Nanning is getting more interesting at every release.

It's that simple, really. To paraphrase a saying we happily shout a couple of times a day over here: "It Just Wooooorrrrkkksss!!!"

I agree - it's a very simple concept that leads to very simple code, great mantainability, and, given the right tools - I put up a lame AspectWerkz definition file editor in XMLSpy and I'm using it with reasonable success, great manageability of your objects.

I'm still trying to imagine how a bunch of swedish geeks shouting might look like, but that doesn't have anything to do with the subject, so nevermind :)

Read: J2EE Redux, 9 months later

Topic: Separate HTML "designers" from "real" programmers? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Tracking Down a Log4J Problem

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use