The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Tracking Down a Log4J Problem

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Joey Gibson

Nickname: joeygibson

Joey Gibson is an opinionated software architect who blogs about technology, politics, music, etc.
Tracking Down a Log4J Problem Posted: Jun 26, 2003 3:07 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Joey Gibson.
Original Post: Tracking Down a Log4J Problem
Feed Title: Joey Gibson's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.jobkabob.com/index.html
Feed Description: Thoughts, musings, ramblings and rants on Java, Ruby, Python, obscure languages, politics and other exciting topics.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Joey Gibson
Latest Posts From Joey Gibson's Blog

Advertisement
I had a really interesting time tracking down a Log4J problem. We've been using Log4J for over a year now happily and even happier with the Commons Logging package on top of it. But last week (while I was on vacation) something went pear shaped: the logs got created but after some initial log messages got sent to the logs, no further messages would get logged. I checked the config file (the XML variety, not the properties file) and it was correct. I then set about digging through code to see if someone had programatically changed the logger, but found nothing. Finally today I found the culprit: a rogue log4j.properties file in a war file in our ear file (that had been there the whole time) had been changed to set the root logger to a level of WARN. Since all of our log messages are at INFO level, thus they never made it. I've tested this and it is indeed the problem.

That was a real pain to diagnose, especially since the offending file had not been checked into our source repository. Had it been checked in, I probably would have spotted the change sooner.

Read: Tracking Down a Log4J Problem

Topic: Radeox Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A critique of the proposed new language features for JDK 1.5

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use