The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Humans are Part of the Equation

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Perez

Nickname: ceperez

Carlos Perez is a Software Architect with over 10 years of industry experience
Humans are Part of the Equation Posted: Jun 26, 2003 12:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Perez.
Original Post: Humans are Part of the Equation
Feed Title: .:Manageability:.
Feed URL: http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/rssDisabled?portal_status_message=Syndication+is+Disabled
Feed Description: Random thoughts on the manageability of complex software.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Perez
Latest Posts From .:Manageability:.

Advertisement

Your life is the sum of the remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomoly which, despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision.

[snip]

The first matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect -- it was a work of art, flawless, sublime.  A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure.

Words of wisdom from the architect in the movie "Matrix: Reloaded".   The fact that humans are almost always part of the equation is something we seem to forget.  Afterall, computer science is presented to us as a left brain activity, that were logical and mathematical precision are valued traits. 

Of course we all grasp the idea that for user interfaces you need someone skilled in interaction design.  That's all been vividly explained in the book "Inmates are running the Asylum".  A book that I recommend every computer professional read.

However we all tend to overlook that it's not just user interfaces that require consideration of humans in the equation.  It goes much deeper that that.  Here are but a few examples:

API Design

Security Design

Product Design

Standardization

Development Process

Language Design

Interesting how Life immitates Art. 

Read: Humans are Part of the Equation

Topic: Lame Programmers and Credit-Card Numbers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Fix Your Love Life with Jini!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use