The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
We don't pay enough attention to the DB :)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
We don't pay enough attention to the DB :) Posted: Jun 23, 2004 9:20 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: We don't pay enough attention to the DB :)
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement
I enjoyed Charles' post on I Love Postgres, especially since TheServerSide.com runs on Postgres. We are big fans of EXPLAIN, however we do not have a fulltime DBA. Maybe it is just my perspective, but the DBA role seems to have dwindled slightly in the companies that I have been at. Large companies definitely still have them, but they seem to ask more of fewer of them. Small companies try hard to get by without them, and ask developers / sysadmins to wear that hat. Maybe we aren't paying as much attention to the database as we should be as you can "get by" without (in a passive way... until something breaks). I have worked with some amazing DBAs in the past, and know what they bring to the table. They can do fantastic things, which go far beyond tweaking performance. Some of the data designs I have seen in the past were so elegant I really didn't want to screw them up with my object model ;) Now, I raise my glass, to the wizard DBA.

Read: We don't pay enough attention to the DB :)

Topic: [Jun 15, 2004 08:49 PDT] 17 Links Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Another definition for

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use