The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
ActiveMQ: RESTful JMS, sort of

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
ActiveMQ: RESTful JMS, sort of Posted: May 27, 2004 7:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: ActiveMQ: RESTful JMS, sort of
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement
Is this implementation of queueing a good example of the ReST approach? - Patrick Logan As a first cut the ActiveMQ guys have done a fair job; there is more they could do. In fairness, this is not so straighforward to get right, since modelling containers with URIs can be tricky. It's cool they're taking a principled approach. In particular I am wondering about the use of GET to dequeue an item If that's what they're doing, it's probably a bad idea (but I need to see the code to be sure). GET is for peeking rather than popping. Use POST/DELETE to dequeue. Otherwise if there is a cache between you and the origin server, you may get unexpected, silent, bugs when using GET insofar as a cache will interfere with expected JMS semantics. In the infrastructures I've worked with, this would cause issues. It helps enormously if each entity being sent into a queue is supplied its own URI- you do this by returning a URI in the Location header. We've used this in Propylon to manage reliable delivery over HTTP; it's very handy when it comes to tracking messages, browsing queues and building reconcilliation reports. This gets much trickier if the client has to have intimate knowledge of the URI structure- computing them instead of dealing with them as opaque strings ups the odds that what I throw together will be ActiveMQ specific (this would be a bit like having a local version of JMX). Aside from that, URI per sent item can scale by suppyling a naturally distributed data structure; in theory it's better to allow random access to items than demanding all clients synchronize access via the controller (queue/topic) URI. I would lose the timeout feature. If there are no messages simply return that information. Holding a reference via keep-alive is a hack to emulate API callbacks - don't go there ;) Finally, I wonder what they're doing around duplicate deliveries. The odds of that happening are much higher over HTTP than an inproc API call. I'll have to checkout the code to learn more - knowing Bob and James this will be a Maven build... [jay z: lucifer]...

Read: ActiveMQ: RESTful JMS, sort of

Topic: Live textile comment previews Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Beware using DateFormat for input validation

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use