The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Cedric says no to AOP and annotations

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
Cedric says no to AOP and annotations Posted: May 14, 2004 12:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: Cedric says no to AOP and annotations
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement
Cedric has written an interesting post on AOP and annotations. I think things are going to get a little hairy here. The main problem is that we can start chasing out tail: xml -> annotations -> aop to put in the annotations -> xml to define how aop puts in the annotations -> repeat I think there is going to be some art when it comes to knowing WHEN to use annotations. I don't think that it makes sense to annotate on major cross cutting concerns. The obvious example is having to put @loggable on every method ;) I guess annotations will allow you to tag some cross cutting concerns when they don't fit the pattern. E.g. setterDogsAreNice(). There could be an annotation that lets the system know that this is NOT a property. However things get dicy. We are all going to go hog-wild with the new shiny toy that is annotations. It is human nature :) Over time we will work out the subset of items that should use this style, and the areas in which you shouldn't. Having code with a ratio of 100:1 annotations:code is going to happen, and it doesn't seem to readable to me. So I think there will be SOME marriage between AOP and annotations, and it will be interesting to find the balance. I mean, some annotations can be considered a cross-cutting concern ;) *runs off after his tail*

Read: Cedric says no to AOP and annotations

Topic: When are two Strings equal? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Page 23 - the slideshow meme blog

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use