The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What's in an envelope?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
What's in an envelope? Posted: May 6, 2004 5:06 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: What's in an envelope?
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement
This seems innocuous enough, but some people claim that by doing so, we’re allowing proprietary formats to rule the day once again; all of the transparency and nifty markup tools that XML gives you go away, and Evil Vendors will smite us with their Terrible, Proprietary Formats.Which, I say, is hogwash. - Mark Nottingham I here what Mark's saying, but you know, there's not much in the history of our industry to back him up. Quite the opposite. We don't even need BeEvil type vendors for this to be an issue - we just need people who don't think clearly about how to inspect encoded goo in a working system running around designing said systems. The real question here — and boy, is this the elephant in the virtual room — is whether XML is the best way to model data. Compared to, I dunno- Base64? XML is not for data modelling; it's for marking up. You need a data model model to model data - XML doesn't have one of those and probably doesn't need one (in fact I'm sure it doesn't - RDF/XML, WXS, anyone? No?). Nah, if that's is an elephant, it's white. The elephant in my room is whether XML packaging over all other considerations is a good idea. Mark mentions this, but almost as an aside. To be specific, must everything go under the root element? XML packaging is currently Atom's biggest technical headache, although people aren't coming out and saying it just yet. Sometimes it seems that putting binary in XML is like putting beer in an envelope. SOAP with Attachments was apparently a "horrible mess", as Mark puts it, but I've never heard anything more specific than that. Was it more horrible than multipart MIME? Will XOP be less horrible?...

Read: What's in an envelope?

Topic: ObjectFilter: AOP Rule Based Object Access Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RE: Jon Tirsen's

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use