The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Random thoughts: scripting in Java

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bill de hÓra

Nickname: dehora

Bill de hÓra is a technical architect with Propylon
Random thoughts: scripting in Java Posted: Apr 20, 2004 1:04 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Bill de hÓra.
Original Post: Random thoughts: scripting in Java
Feed Title: Bill de hÓra
Feed URL: http://www.dehora.net/journal/atom.xml
Feed Description: FD85 1117 1888 1681 7689 B5DF E696 885C 20D8 21F8
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Bill de hÓra
Latest Posts From Bill de hÓra

Advertisement
I've spent two days writing server admin scripts in Java to be run via Ant. I think the only way to do it and not go insane or build a YAFF is via Command objects. You get some measure of recomposition/reuse from your function chunks that way. Otherwise everything turns into single class hairball. Always split iteration from function. I despair that Java can't pass methods around. A little Java, a few Patterns is the best book on writing commands in Java - if you look at that and go "That's not Java", I don't blame you (tip: eat before you read it). Assuming the things you're dealing with have names, RDF makes for a kicking log/journal format. If they don't have names, give them some. The DOM: uurrghhhhh. The next time I do this I'm using Groovy. And XOM....

Read: Random thoughts: scripting in Java

Topic: One of Those Days Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: [Apr 13, 2004 05:10 PDT] 9 Links

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use