The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
The end of the Java ice age?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ted Leung

Nickname: twl

Ted Leung is principal of Sauria Associates, LLC. He is a member of the Apache Software Foundation
The end of the Java ice age? Posted: Mar 13, 2004 11:39 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Ted Leung.
Original Post: The end of the Java ice age?
Feed Title: Ted Leung on the air : computers/programming/java
Feed URL: http://www.sauria.com/blog/computers/programming/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Ted Leung on the air: Open Source, Java, Python, and ...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Ted Leung
Latest Posts From Ted Leung on the air : computers/programming/java

Advertisement
Glenn writes about the Java interlude in programming language development. As he said, it's nice to discover other people of a similar opinion.

During the time that Java was getting started, I was very interested in Dylan, an OO dynamic language (dialect of Lisp, really) under development at Apple. In fact I almost took a job working at Harlequin, which was doing a Windows port of Dylan, but my interview with Peter Norvig convinced me that Dylan was likely to lose the mindshare battle with Java, so I ended up at Apple working on a port of Java to the Newton OS.

I would love to see the Dylan effort get off the ground again. The Gwydion hackers are keeping it on life support, but it really needs a shot in the arm. A while back Functional Objects (the name for the remnants of the Harlequin team) was talking about open sourcing their Linux port, which would have been excellent. The company's web page has been silent for a while and there haven't been many posts in comp.lang.dylan, either. I guess they'd rather have their technology go silently into the night rather than give it a chance to revive in the open source space.

In the meantime, James has been looking at the Dylan stuff, and the semantics of Groovy are headed for Dylanness, although there's a fair bit left to go, and the voices calling for Java compatibility may prevent it from getting there. There are three talks on improving Python performance at PyCon this year, so perhaps someday python might be in the running for high performance dynamic language. Or maybe there's a dark horse sitting in some arch repository somewhere (I can dream)...

Read: The end of the Java ice age?

Topic: Remembering why I don't like hardware... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Knight Moves

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use