The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Russ.Beattie.info

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Russell Beattie

Nickname: rbeattie

Russell Beattie is a Mobile Internet Developer
Russ.Beattie.info Posted: Mar 11, 2004 12:14 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Russell Beattie.
Original Post: Russ.Beattie.info
Feed Title: Russell Beattie Notebook
Feed URL: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/rss.jsp?q=java,code,mobile
Feed Description: My online notebook with thoughts, comments, links and more.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Russell Beattie
Latest Posts From Russell Beattie Notebook

Advertisement
I've been debating this for a few weeks now, but I think I'm about to change my main domain to www.beattie.info and move my weblog to russ.beattie.info. What do you think? Please consider this post a "confirmation" post.

The benefits of moving to the russ.beattie.info url first is that it's a quite bit shorter than my current monstrousity of www.russellbeattie.com/notebook and also allows me to create subdomains for Alex. Plus my email of russ@russellbeattie.com is a bit redundant... russ@beattie.info is so much cleaner, no? (No worries about people accidentally putting in beattie.com because I bought a 10 year lease on russ@beattie.com from NetIdentity like three years ago.) And thirdly 74.3% of the people in the world don't realize that Russell has two s's and two l's . (Count them). I don't know how many times I've told someone to check my site for one thing or another, and after they type my URL incorrectly a few times, just revert to going to Google to look me up.

The downsides is that the .info domain isn't nearly as cool as the .com is it? And there are still dumb-ass javascript forms and cgi-scripts that reject four letter extensions. And people can't spell Beattie either with any regularity and think I'm saying Ross when I say Russ, so that doesn't really matter, and finally, most everyone defaults to putting a www in the URL first thing anyways. That last bit is definitely a bit annoying - every time I manually type in joi.ito.com's site or jeremy.zawodny.com I always forget that they don't begin with www and wonder why the domain doesn't just pop up from my history cache.

You tell me: What do you like: russellbeattie.com or russ.beattie.info ?

-Russ

Read: Russ.Beattie.info

Topic: Pluto Documentation Updated Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: EclipseCon 2004 Talk Slides Now Online

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use