The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
More on BPEL and Formalism

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 20, 2004 6:41 AM by Abouzaid

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Paul Brown

Nickname: paulrbrown

Paul Brown is an entrepreneur
More on BPEL and Formalism Posted: Feb 29, 2004 12:08 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Paul Brown.
Original Post: More on BPEL and Formalism
Feed Title: mult.ifario.us
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MultifariousCategoryJava
Feed Description: Software. Business. Java. XML. Web Services.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Paul Brown
Latest Posts From mult.ifario.us

Advertisement
I talked some about formalism and BPEL on 2004-02-22.Satish Thatte (from Microsoft) posted a message on the WS-BPEL TC mailing list about some work on BPEL formal semantics, this time using Abstract State Machines ("ASM"). (Microsoft has some tooling for working with ASM; it has been applied, e.g., to COM and .NET. It can also be applied to concurrency in Java.)The paper, from Roozbeh Farahbod, Uwe Glässer and Mona Vajihollahi, is motivated by Issue 42 (OASIS membership required for the link):There is a need for formalism. It will allow us to not only reason about the current specification and related issues, but also uncover issues that would otherwise go unnoticed. Empirical deduction is not sufficient. Other efforts have begun to formalize their language (i.e. XQUERY). It provides explicit models for BPEL activities in terms of ASM. The paper makes for interesting reading (if you're into that kind of thing, which I am), but it's disappointing that the paper appears to focus on the BPEL4WS 1.1 specification (which will be obsoleted when the OASIS specification is released later this year) and doesn't treat the more interesting and challenging aspects, namely variables, faults, and compensation.I expect and hope to see Issue 42 remain unresolved in so far as imposing any particular formalism and any specific level of granularity on BPEL. The fact that BPEL is amenable to formal analysis is sufficient, and so far, people have successfully modeled it with Petri nets, pi-calculus, and ASM. (I have yet to see a complete model in the academic literature, but there are complete formal representations in some commercial implementations, e.g., ours.)I've added a new snip on Academic work on BPEL with a collection of links to various academic papers.

Read: More on BPEL and Formalism

Abouzaid

Nickname: med55

Re: More on BPEL and Formalism Posted: May 20, 2004 6:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Hi,

I'm interested in modelization and verification of BPEL and looking for any document that defines a formal semantic, essentially in pi-calculus. Does anyone have any idea of a location? Thanks.

Med55

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: The world needs more crazy people Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Designing With Web Standards

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use