The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
No Time Wasters, Please

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
John Topley

Nickname: johntopley

John Topley is embarking on a journey to become a J2EE master.
No Time Wasters, Please Posted: Feb 17, 2004 1:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by John Topley.
Original Post: No Time Wasters, Please
Feed Title: John Topley's Weblog
Feed URL: http://johntopley.com/posts.atom
Feed Description: John Topley's Weblog - some articles on Ruby on Rails development.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by John Topley
Latest Posts From John Topley's Weblog

Advertisement

One of the things that really annoys me is when people ask questions and then disappear off the face of the Earth. During the nine months that this site has been running, I've received a number of technical questions either as comments or via my Contact page. Invariably these questions have been too vague for me to be able to answer immediately, and so I've ended up having to ask for more detail. Then I hear no more.

Why do people do this?! A few years ago when I first had access to the Internet, I was also starting out as a Windows programmer and I posted no end of questions to newsgroups asking for help with various problems. Without fail I eagerly checked back the next day to see if I'd received an answer. Later on, I started answering other people's questions too, which was quite rewarding. I just can't imagine a situation in which I'd ask for help online and then not respond when a person trying to help needed more information. Even if I'd solved the problem myself in the meantime, I would have the courtesy to make this known.

It's interesting observing how programmers go about things when they're stuck. Some will cuss and bang their head on the desk for days before asking for help, whilst others will give up straight away and ask the brightest person at hand. Over the years I've observed that people are much more inclined to ask a colleague for help than to try to find the answer out for themselves, even though the latter is often quicker if you have a strategy for doing it. I'm convinced that this phenomenon directly led to the creation of the Microsoft Office assistant. Microsoft noticed this behavioural pattern and thought it would be a great step forward if they could distill the office expert into Word. I wonder if the people I started off complaining about leave Clippit hanging on for more information?

A picture of the 'Clippit' Microsoft Office assistant

Read: No Time Wasters, Please

Topic: Al Jolson as Simulacrum Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: PalmSource and the smart phone wars continued...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use