The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
From Java to Objective-C

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
From Java to Objective-C Posted: Feb 15, 2004 10:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: From Java to Objective-C
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

I tried to get started with Objective C last year when I got my iBook. I bought Learning Cocoa with Objective-C and got a couple chapters into it before I got distracted learning Ruby. I thought that Ruby would be easier to learn and would be just as good for Mac programs using the Ruby/cocoa bridge. I thoroughly enjoyed learning Ruby, but I decided that it would be better to stick with Objective-C for my Cocoa work.

This last week, I finally got back into it and have almost worked my way through the whole book. As I've gone through it, I've been amazed both by what a great language objective C is and what a great GUI development environment Apple brings to the table with interface builder, xcode and cocoa. Although I'm not stranger to UI work, I've shunned Java UI work. I never liked AWT or swing, and anyone who things SWT is the answer is missing the bigger picture. Since I don't do full time GUI work, I'll steer clear of the technical arguments and simply say that cocoa and objective C make UI work fun. While most Java developers dread touching GUI code, working on a cocoa UI is fast and fun.

From a pure nerd factor, objective C has been a bigger surprise. I recall hearing of objective-C 10 years ago before I learned C++. I knew that objective-C and C had both made their appearance around the same time in the in the mid 80's. C++ had all the hype and nobody but those weird NeXT guys seemed to know much about objective-C, so naturally I paid attention to the language most likely to get me a job. In reality, I paid even less attention to objective-C than that. It was just some fringe language that I knew little more than the name of.

10 years later, I'm finally discovering objective-C and I wonder why C++ went maintstream and objective-C got left behind. I was never really a huge fan of C++. I never felt C++ provided any real value over plain old C. It felt like a hack and I was rather disillusioned by OO the OO hype until I discovered Java. To me, Java accomplished the goal of being the try OO successor to the C/C++ line.

But I wonder what Java would be like now in some alternate universe where objective-C took hold and Java borrowed from that more. A language with message passing semantics, selectors, categories and maybe even the funky Tcl/lisp like message messaging syntax. As AOP concepts push the limits of Java, I wonder if maybe we wouldn't have been able to afford a lot more dynamic runtime possibilities if it weren't for the limitations of the C/C++ heritage.

Perhaps objective-C has it's dark side too. It certainly feels old and clunky in places. Afterall, it's really just an extension to C in the same way C++ was. And, working with it makes me appreciate working in a garbage collected Java environment. But still, there's a certain elegance to it that I can't quite shake. All I can say is that if you are a Java guy and are feeling a little bored with Java, take a step "backwards" and try some objective-C for a bit. If nothing else, it will give you a great perspective on where Java (or it's successor) could go.

Read: From Java to Objective-C

Topic: Real Coffee Again Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A Confluence GUI Client in 200 Lines of Code

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use