The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
#512 and #513 in Downtown Reykjavik

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
#512 and #513 in Downtown Reykjavik Posted: Oct 22, 2010 11:37 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: #512 and #513 in Downtown Reykjavik
Feed Title: Mokka mit Schlag
Feed URL: http://www.elharo.com/blog/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Ranting and Raving
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From Mokka mit Schlag

Advertisement

Monday afternoon I drove Beth and her agent down to Reykjavik to visit a violinist at a lovely sculpture museum on the ocean. (Driving in Iceland is dead easy, by the way. Much simpler than in the U.S. Fewer people means less traffic.) I added Common Loon to the trip list at the museum, but didn’t find any life birds. However, a little later in the afternoon we visited Tjomin Pond in the city center, which is known for harboring many species that don’t winter anywhere else in the country. As usual in city parks in both Europe and America, some the biggest and most obvious waterfowl were Mute Swans. Or at least that’s what I thought at first. These days I hardly even look at swans in parks. However these swans were quite tame, as Mute Swans in parks usually are, and when one swam right up to us, I couldn’t help noticing the bright yellow bill:

Profile of a swan with a yellow and black bill

Wait a minute? Yellow bill? Mute Swans don’t have yellow bills. That’s a Whooper Swan! #512. (I’d seen a Whooper several years ago on the East Pond of Jamaica Bay, but as probable escapees Whoopers aren’t countable in New York. In Iceland they are.)

The next most obvious birds were the Greylag Geese. These are the ancestors of our own domestic geese. I’ve seen them before, including in Geneva Switzerland but none of them qualify as wild birds. These do, so they’re number 513. Greylags are wild in Iceland. Most migrate south to England in the winter but a few dozen have learned to wait out the winter near City Hall in Reykjavik, and feed on lawns throughout the city.

Total species count for the pond was 9:

• Graylag Goose
  • Whooper Swan
  • Mallard
  • Tufted Duck
  • Red-breasted Merganser
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Common Gull
  • Rock Pigeon
  • European Starling

Tufted Duck, Red-breasted Merganser, and Common Gull were also new birds for my Iceland list.

Read: #512 and #513 in Downtown Reykjavik

Topic: Java SE 6 Update 22 Released Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Camel ActiveMQ route and unit test example

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use