The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Device Ownership: Desktop Computer and Portable Devices with Internet Connectivity

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Device Ownership: Desktop Computer and Portable Devices with Internet Connectivity Posted: Apr 16, 2010 9:37 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Device Ownership: Desktop Computer and Portable Devices with Internet Connectivity
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

This past week's java.net poll and the poll that preceded it asked people about the number of desktop computers and Internet-capable portable devices they own, respectively. The results were surprisingly similar. I plan to re-ask these questions periodically so we can observe the trends over time.

328 votes were cast in last week's poll. The exact question and results were:

How many desktop computers do you own?

• 9% (30 votes) - 5 or more
  • 19% (61 votes) - 3 or 4
  • 24% (80 votes) - 2
  • 34% (111 votes) - 1
  • 14% (46 votes) - None

This result is remarkably similar to the results of last week's poll. Of course, neither poll is scientific -- but it's still interesting to compare the results:

Number
Owned
Portable Devices with
Internet Connectivity
Desktop
Computers
5 or more 8% 9%
3 or 4 16% 19%
2 24% 24%
1 28% 34%
None 21% 14%
I don't know 4% [not in poll]

Or, in a bar chart view:

The two polls suggest that, as of today, developers own slightly more desktop computers than portable devices with Internet connectivity. Perhaps we'll ask these same questions six months from now, and see if the results have changed.

New poll: Apple's new Developer Agreement restrictions

There is a lot of discussion about the recent changes in Apple's iPhone Developer Program License Agreement. For example, see:

This prompted Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart to send me a suggestion for a java.net poll:

What about asking for people's reactions to the Apple's new rule on the iPodOS SDK? I'm a long-time Apple user and I find it bad enough to make me reconsider. I'm curious about how others feel.

I also briefly spoke with Josh Marinacci about the new Apple developer rules. He tells us why he thinks Palm's webOS puts users and developers first in his latest blog post.

So, our new java.net Poll asks What's your reaction to the new cross-platform compiler restrictions in the iPhone Developer Agreement? The poll will run for the next week.

In Java Today, there's a new @Java Twitter account. Tori Wieldt of Oracle, who's managing the @java account, tells me:

@Java is the channel for cool news about and around the Java ecosystem. It's not developer-specific, but for anyone interested in Java. We'll tweet news, events, links to tech articles, and special offers. We'll tweet daily, b20100416.htmlut a lot more often during events like JavaOne. We want our tweets to be relevant to users, and we monitor the feed for questions and comments. Hope you all follow!

Java SE 6u20 has been released, providing important security updates. Changes:

A Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP) file without a codebase parameter, such as the following, will no longer work with the Java SE 6 update 20 release: <jnlp spec="0.2 1.0" href="draw.jnlp"> This means that developers must specify the codebase parameter in a JNLP file. See the following example: <jnlp spec="0.2 1.0" codebase="http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/javawebstart/apps/" href="draw.jnlp"> ...

Robert Eckstein has a new article on java.sun.com, JavaFX 1.2 UI Control Components: Part Two: Nodes and Buttons:

JavaFX SDK 1.2 introduces a new set of user-interface (UI) control components for JavaFX programmers. Previously, JavaFX UI Components simply "borrowed" their functionality from the underlying Swing components, which prevented their use in anything other than the desktop profile. The JavaFX SDK 1.2 components, however, take advantage of the more powerful JavaFX scene graph, which not only increases portability, but also allows JavaFX programmers to create more compelling graphical capabilities...

In the Weblogs, Joshua Marinacci talks about Palm's webOS, the OS Built From the Web, Puts Users and Developers First:

There's been a ton of talk lately about several mobile operating systems and their problems, such as language restrictions, fragmentation, and anti-competitive practices. It's never a good idea to talk bad about your competition, so I'll take this opportunity to simply say a few things about the webOS (the OS that powers Palm's Pre and Pixi phones) that you might not know...

Kohsuke Kawaguchi writes about Hudson console markups (and notes that he is now also cross-posting his blogs to his new website, www.kohsuke.org):

Despite all the report comprehension in Hudson, such as JUnit, PMD, FindBugs, etc., log files still hold a special place in terms of capturing what has really happened. Hudson does a bit of AJAX in this space to let you follow output as it comes, but the log is basically just a plain text that doesn't really have structures. But that is changing. One of the recent improvements in Hudson is the infrastructure and extension points for Hudson (and its plugins) to mark up the console output to improve interactivity and do some cool stuff...

Juliano Viana demonstrates Decoupling event producers and event consumers in JEE6 using CDI and JMS:

In this post I will share my recent findings about Container Dependency Injection in JEE 6, in particular how to decouple the processing threads of event producers and event consumers. JEE 6 introduces a very nice dependency injection framework (CDI) that has superb support for the Observer pattern in the form of event broadcasting. An Event in CDI is just a regular POJO...

In the Forums, in the GlassFish forum, urmas asks for help finding a Form Solution - Java or JavaScript: Hello, My problem at hand is that I need to make a combobox in .jsp file and I would very much like to know when someone chooses another option in the box. So, my question is, can I listen events from the combobox with...

In the Java 3D forum, mhakman is finding Transparency settings not obeyed: Hello, I have 2 PointArray shapes without color values. One of them geometrically occludes the other. I set colors using ColoringAttributes and transparency using TransparencyAttributes. If I use TransparencyMode NONE then I see only the...

In the LWUIT forum, Klemens is working on a Focus and pixel based scrolling problem: Just one thing I noticed: If the last component (in my case a TextArea) is not focusable there is a problem with scrolling. I can scroll down from the last focusable component but the last line of the TextArea is only shown half. Using...

Our Spotlight this week is Replays for GlassFish Roadmap Now Available:

Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart announces: "The replays from our presentation on the GlassFish Roadmap are now available in different formats, including SlideCast (Slides with synchronized audio)..."

The new java.net Poll asks What's your reaction to the new cross-platform compiler restrictions in the iPhone Developer Agreement? The poll will run for the next week.

Our latest Feature Article is Dibyendu Roy's Rethinking Multi-Threaded Design Principles, Part 2, which provides guidance on how to harness the processing powere of next generation multicore processors. We're also featuring HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth; this two-part series explains the new Server-Sent Events and WebSockets API in HTML5. And we're featuring Flexible Swing Reporting Using JIDE Aggregate and Pivot Tables, by Malcolm Davis (in which you learn about a Swing report alternative that provides 90% of the solution with 10% of the effort).

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

AttachmentSize
20100416editor.png15.54 KB

Read: Device Ownership: Desktop Computer and Portable Devices with Internet Connectivity

Topic: Shopping Cart Web Application - Bean Validation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Shopping Cart Web Application - Security

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use