The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Poll Result: Plurality of Developers Own One Internet-Enabled Portable Device

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Poll Result: Plurality of Developers Own One Internet-Enabled Portable Device Posted: Apr 9, 2010 12:26 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Poll Result: Plurality of Developers Own One Internet-Enabled Portable Device
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The results of last week's java.net poll produced a Poisson-like distribution -- which suggests that perhaps the results of the non-scientific survey have some legitimacy, since we'd expect the actual number of Internet-capable devices that developers own to follow a Poisson-like distribution (that makes sense to me, anyway). A total of 284 votes were cast. Here's the exact question and the results:

How many portable devices with Internet connectivity do you own?

• 8% (22 votes) - 5 or more
  • 16% (45 votes) - 3 or 4
  • 24% (67 votes) - 2
  • 28% (79 votes) - 1
  • 21% (61 votes) - none
  • 4% (10 votes) - I don't know

The main point of this poll (and also the main point of the new java.net poll) is to set a baseline for future reference. It will be interesting to see how the distribution of how many portable Internet-enabled devices peole own changes over time, as new technologies (like the iPad) continue to emerge, and mobile phones become increasingly capable.

So, there's not too much to say about these results. The median number of portable devices with Internet connectivity that people own is one. 21% of the voters do not yet own an Internet-enabled portable device. I would expect this percentage to drop over time. And, I would expect the median value to increase over time, because of devices like the iPad, etc.

Now, I don't want to assume I can predict the future, but I do think that probably there is a limit to the number of portable devices with Internet connectivity people will ever want to have. I mean, will someone ever need or want 20 Internet-enabled portable devices? Wouldn't that be an awful lot of duplication?

But, it will be interesting to ask this question again a year or so from now.

New poll: how many desktop computers?

Also, it will be interesting a year from now to re-ask the question in the new java.net poll: How many desktop computers do you own?

Here's hoping this poll will also produce a nice Poisson-like results distribution.

In Java Today, Arun Gupta provides TOTD #126: Creating an OSGi bundles using Eclipse and deploying in GlassFish:

TOTD #125 showed how to create an OSGi bundle using NetBeans and deploy in GlassFish. This Tip Of The Day (TOTD) shows how to do the same using Eclipse. OSGi replaced the plug-in technologies starting with Eclipse 3.0 and Equinox is used for all the modularity in Eclipse now. Anyway, lets get started! ...

Hamlet D'Arcy investigates Groovy 1.7.2 - Three Features Worth the Upgrade :

Groovy 1.7.2 was released 22 hours ago, so by now you have surely spent hours playing with the new bits and combing through the release notes looking for new nuggets of productivity. Or maybe not. For all those busier than me, here are the top 3 reasons to upgrade to the point release...

Laurent Cohen announces that JPPF, the Open Source Grid Computing Solution, Releases v2.1:

What's new in JPPF 2.1 -- Performance: The development of this release has seen a lot of emphasis on both memory usage and performance improvements. The JPPF server now executes multithreaded network I/O and reaches new levels of scalability. JPPF applications can now enjoy faster execution of larger jobs. Localization: Russian localization is now available for the graphical administration console. Load balancing: Custom load-balancers can now use information about the nodes' environment and configuration, along with metadata about the jobs...

In the Weblogs, Bruno Ghisi talks about Creating an email authentication provider in Grails with Acegi plugin:

A long time without blogging, I have been busy working with DTV applications and GRails... this post goes with the second topic... Have you already installed Spring Security (Acegi) plugin in Grails? Do you want to allow logins with the email also - like Twitter, SlideShare, etc - and not only with the default username? Here is the simple way to make it to work: 1 - Implement an AuthenticationProvider (EmailAuthenticationProvider) in src/groovy ...

Fabrizio Giudici will be Speaking on JavaFX at Jazoon '10:

A few days ago I got the confirmation that one of my talk proposals was accepted at Jazoon 2010 in Zurich. Now that the preliminary program has been made available, I can give you the details: I'll speak on Wednesday, June 2nd, in the second half of the 13:30 - 15:20 timeslot devoted to JavaFX. Being a "preliminary" program I suppose you'll have to check it again in the next weeks. My presentation will be "Designing a JavaFX mobile application"...

Sahoo talks about developing a JAX-WS Web Service in an OSGi bundle:

Recently a user in GlassFish forum asked about developing JAX-WS web service in an OSGi bundle. Here is a complete sample demonstrating a JAX-WS web service invoking an OSGi service via OSGi service registry. You can download it from here. The diagram below hopefully explains the organisation of the sample...

In the Forums, gutierrege has questions regarding Metro + Spring + Maven: Hi all, I'm doing an app that uses metro, spring and maven 2, and i was able to do a webservice, but the wsdl generated is using xsd:import which the client that is going to use my webservice doesnt support that, i saw this bug already posted but no one says how to avoid it...

qwertywin finds JAI-IMAGEIO binaries corrupt: When I download the amd64 jdk/jre binaries they are corrupt when you try to use them...

In the LWUIT forum, Mixa has an issue with fireActionEvent() on non-editable TextArea: Hi, By analogy with Button, I wanted to perform some action on TextArea on pointerReleased() event. Yes, I know that editable components handle fire actions in their own way (for TextArea a native popup will be shown). But...

Our Spotlight this week is What does the future hold for the Java Community Process (JCP)?, in which Ed Burnette interviews former JCP Executive Committee member Tony de la Lama:

The Java Community Process, or JCP, was created by Sun as the standards setting body for the Java language, libraries, and runtime. From 1998 to 2009, Sun ruled the JCP with an iron fist, but now that Oracle is calling the shots that will inevitably be changing. Recently, I discussed the topic with Tony de la Lama, senior vice president of research and development, at Embarcadero Technologies. Tony was a JCP founding executive committee member from 2000-2003 and prior to joining Embarcadero was general manager of Borland's Java business, so he knows a thing or two about how the JCP works (or fails to work)...

This week's java.net Poll asks How many desktop computers do you own? The poll will run for the next week.

We've just published a new Feature Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth; this two-part series explains the new Server-Sent Events and WebSockets API in HTML5. We're also featuring Flexible Swing Reporting Using JIDE Aggregate and Pivot Tables, by Malcolm Davis (in which you learn about a Swing report alternative that provides 90% of the solution with 10% of the effort); and Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins (learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0).

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Poll Result: Plurality of Developers Own One Internet-Enabled Portable Device

Topic: EJB3 JPA error when migrating from JBoss version 4 to 5 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Okla. information officer discusses technology functions, consolidation of information systems

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use