The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Arun Gupta: How to Create OSGi Bundles Using NetBeans, for Deployment in GlassFish

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Arun Gupta: How to Create OSGi Bundles Using NetBeans, for Deployment in GlassFish Posted: Apr 6, 2010 7:38 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Arun Gupta: How to Create OSGi Bundles Using NetBeans, for Deployment in GlassFish
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

Arun Gupta has reached the Number 125 milestone in his Tip Of The Day (TOTD) series. The new entry is titled TOTD #125: Creating an OSGi bundles using NetBeans and deploying in GlassFish. Arun begins his discussion by noting similarities between NetBeans modules (NBM) and OSGi (aka "the dynamic module system for Java):

NetBeans has a modular architecture where each module is created as an NBM. OSGi is another popular modular system for Java applications and used by GlassFish to provide a light-weight Java EE 6 compliant application server.

There are a lot of similarities between NBM and OSGi:

• Runtime container manages lifecycle and dependencies of modules
  • Both are packaged as JAR, metadata stored in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and some other information
  • Runtime starts up, read meta information and sets up dependencies
  • Every module has its own class loader loading explicitly declared dependencies only

Arun then points us to Toni Epple's presentation from this past June's OSGi DevCon 2009 Europe conference, which shows in detail the similarities and differences between NetBeans modules and OSGi. Toni's full set of slides, titled "Frankenstein's IDE: Running NetBeans on OSGi and vice versa," is available at Slideshare.

Assuming you know the background information Toni presents, Arun moves on, showing how to create an OSGi bundle using NetBeans and deploy it in GlassFish. In Arun's TOTD, he assumes you're working the latest nightly build of NetBeans 6.9, and GlassFish v3. He provides plenty of screenshots to illustrate his procedure.

While the idea of creating an OSGi bundle in NetBeans and deploying it in GlassFish may sound complicated, it's actually not all that bad. In seven steps, you can create anCreating an OSGi bundles using NetBeans and deploying in GlassFish OSGi bundle that can be started and stopped in GlassFish, and the stes only involve a relatively small number of lines of code.

Arun ends by showing how to create an OSGi "module suite" (a set of related OSGi modules) and an OSGi Bundle Repository. See TOTD #125: Creating an OSGi bundles using NetBeans and deploying in GlassFish for all the details.

Also in Java Today, pelegri discusses Leveraging Servlet 3.0 - Authentication without Forms using GlassFish v3 and Vaadin:

The new Servlet 3.0 specification in JavaEE 6 (JSR website, JavaOne Session, VC podcast) packs many new features, including Annotations, Dynamic Registration, Pluggability and Asynchronous Support. Servlet 3.0 also includes quite a number of security improvements, as described by Kumar a couple of months ago in a Summary of new Security Features in Servlet 3.0. As Ron explains...

Shai Almog presents a video of Biswajit Sarkar Talking About J2ME & LWUIT:

With the current holidays around here and quite a bit of work I didn't keep up the blog as I probably should. I'll try to get back into posting soon when everything calms down around here. While waiting for me to get my act together here is a talk that Biswajit Sarkar (author of the LWUIT 1.1 book) gave at the IndicThreads conference in India...

In the Weblogs, Kohsuke Kawaguchi says Good bye, Sun/Oracle:

I started working for Sun Microsystems since Janurary 2001, when I first came to the US. During these years I was able to work on many different projects, such as MSV, JAXB, JAX-WS, Metro, GlassFish v3, and Hudson, to name a few, with many great people. It was all quite an enjoyable journey. I won't list all those names one by one here, for it will be too long, but if you are one of them, I think you know that I'm talking about you. As my colleague Abhijit said once, a large part of enjoying your work is the people you work with. So with a bit of sadness and a lot of excitements, I announce that today is my last day at Oracle...

John Ferguson Smart talks about The 'Continuous Integration with Hudson' book build process:

Continuous Integration with Hudson is a new open source book project in the works. In the spirit of 'eating our own dogfood', this book is produced using Hudson. In this article, I discuss the build framework used for the 'Continuous Integration with Hudson' book. The 'Continuous Integration with Hudson' book is written in docbook, and is therefore XML source code which builds to PDF and HTML versions of the book. The source code is stored using git (in a github repository which will be eventually made public). The main branches are the following...

Masoud Kalili says Oracle is NOT taking back OpenSolaris, ZDNet Dana Blankenhorn got it wrong:

Once again the FUD around Solaris and OpenSolaris fate started to spread after Dana Blankenhorn misunderstood the licensing terms and used a eye catching and visitor increasing title, Oracle taking back OpenSolaris, for his blog entry. Well, from this article we can get that even the veteran writers can get things wrong and spread incorrect news :-) Folks, Solairs is one of the biggest Sun assets that Oracle is now own by taking over Sun . Solaris and OpenSolaris are going to be around in a much better shape than before because Oracle is betting its fight for the market share on this operating system to form a complete stack including storage, hardware, OS, middle-ware, support and so on...

In the Forums, in the GlassFish forum, Robert Weeks asks about using a JRuby Script Engine within OSGi?: Hello - I was wondering has been able to get the ScriptEngine (using jruby-engine.jar) to work correctly within an OSGi bundle? I am having issues getting it to work correctly wrt ruby.jar, and having the jars placed correctly so that the...

In the LWUIT forum, xxs523 has a question regarding Multiple Menu Program: Hi all, Can I set the tab title width of a tabbedpane in lwuit? If can, how?

In the Java 3D forum, washaq asks how can i load (.3DS or .obj) models with its textures in java: hi can someone plzzz tell me how i can load a 3ds or .obj model along with its texture. plzzzz here is code in which i load the model but how can i load its texture plzzz some one help mee or if some one hav his code relating to 3ds or .obj...

Our Spotlight this week is What does the future hold for the Java Community Process (JCP)?, in which Ed Burnette interviews former JCP Executive Committee member Tony de la Lama:

The Java Community Process, or JCP, was created by Sun as the standards setting body for the Java language, libraries, and runtime. From 1998 to 2009, Sun ruled the JCP with an iron fist, but now that Oracle is calling the shots that will inevitably be changing. Recently, I discussed the topic with Tony de la Lama, senior vice president of research and development, at Embarcadero Technologies. Tony was a JCP founding executive committee member from 2000-2003 and prior to joining Embarcadero was general manager of Borland's Java business, so he knows a thing or two about how the JCP works (or fails to work)...

This week's java.net Poll asks How many portable devices with Internet connectivity do you own?. The poll will be live until Friday.

We've just published a new Feature Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth; this two-part series explains the new Server-Sent Events and WebSockets API in HTML5. We're also featuring Flexible Swing Reporting Using JIDE Aggregate and Pivot Tables, by Malcolm Davis (in which you learn about a Swing report alternative that provides 90% of the solution with 10% of the effort); and Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins (learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0).

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Arun Gupta: How to Create OSGi Bundles Using NetBeans, for Deployment in GlassFish

Topic: High-tech ferrets, a French Shakespeare: British media revel in April Fools' tradition Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Get ready to follow `Romeo and Juliet' on Twitter!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use