The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Poll Result: Minimal Impact of Oracle Acquisition on GlassFish Roadmap is Applauded

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
News Manager

Nickname: newsman

News Manager is the force behind the news at Artima.com.
Poll Result: Minimal Impact of Oracle Acquisition on GlassFish Roadmap is Applauded Posted: Apr 2, 2010 12:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by News Manager.
Original Post: Poll Result: Minimal Impact of Oracle Acquisition on GlassFish Roadmap is Applauded
Feed Title: Java Today
Feed URL: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/editors/index.rdf
Feed Description: Java Today on java.net
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by News Manager
Latest Posts From Java Today

Advertisement

The majority of people who voted in this past week's java.net poll are pleased that Oracle's acquisition of Sun has not significantly changed GlassFish's mode of operation as an open source project or its future development focus. A total of 200 votes were cast, with these results:

What do you like most about the new GlassFish Roadmap

• 31% (62 votes) - GlassFish remains transparent and participatory
  • 4% (7 votes) - The addition of an Oracle-supported distribution
  • 31% (61 votes) - Clustering in GF v3.1
  • 4% (8 votes) - Interoperation with Oracle Middleware
  • 10% (20 votes) - I don't like anything about it
  • 17% (33 votes) - I don't know
  • 5% (9 votes) - Other

About 3/4 of the voters in the (non-scientific) survey indicated that there is something that they like most about the new GlassFish Roadmap. Within this group, about 42% were most pleased about the lack of change in how the project is being run going forward (GF remains transparent and participatory); another 42% were most pleased by the plan to add clustering in GF v3.1; about 10% were most pleased about either the addition of an Oracle-supported distribution or interoperation with Oracle Middleware; and 6% were most pleased by something in the roadmap that wasn't listed in the poll (other).

To me, this suggests quite broad approval within the community for the direction the GlassFish project is taking, post-Oracle acquisition. There's still definitely some confusion regarding licensing. For example, see the comments to Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine's GlassFish Roadmap slides posted.

ljnelson posted a comment to the poll titled "Licensing is clear as mud to me" in which he quotes portions of the new license and asks:

What does this mean? Can I bundle Glassfish open source edition--like I could previously--to host my commercial software? Or is that now prohibited? And if it is prohibited, how can this be the case if the source is governed by the GPL and the CDDL?

pelegri provided clarification in his response:

There will be two distributions: the oracle distribution and the OSS distribution. This is an arrangement similar to how it was under Sun. The details of the licenses used and the names of the releases vary a bit, but the general structure remains...

While overall the voters approve of GlassFish's direction, there was a some displeasure expressed: 10% of the voters said they don't like anything about the new GlassFish roadmap. Another 17% didn't know what they like most about the new roadmap.

cajo, who posted the third comment to the poll ("Missing option: Who cares?"), may be among the 10%:

There is vastly more to Java, and its infrastructure, than simply generating web pages. It is high time we started thinking about this.

New poll: Internet-connected portable devices

Our new java.net poll is about as basic as you can get: How many portable devices with Internet connectivity do you own? I'm asking this to lay down a baseline. Because this is the type of question that I think will be interesting to ask periodically, so we can observe the trends over time.

Though the poll is simple, I did spend some time trying to get the phrasing right. The device has to be "portable" -- i.e., you can carry it around with you with relative ease -- and it has to have Internet connectivity (i.e., an old cell phone that can only be used for phone calls doesn't count). Admittedly, there are still some gray areas. Just use your own judgment, and feel free to post comments that identify the gray areas you perceive, and the decision you made on whether those devices qualify as being portable and having Internet connectivity.

In Java Today, rtyler presents considerations Regarding the start of April and Hudson:

I had briefly contemplating what sort of silly posts I could write to celebrate April Fool's Day, when I sat down to write out some of them, I got a few sentences in and decided that they just weren't funny enough. Either I have very high standards, or I'm terribly unfunny. The web is awash with April Fool's articles, comics, headlines and everything else, so instead I'm going to just give you a few useful links...

alexismp writes about GlassFish and OSGi (and Sahoo) at EclipseCon:

As most of our frequent readers will know, GlassFish 3 is both modular and extensible. It ships as 200+ OSGi bundles running on Felix but also runs unmodified on Equinox. But how does this all benefit the GlassFish user (as opposed to the team developing the product)? This is what Sahoo presented at EclipseCon last week in the "OSGi & Java EE in GlassFish" session...

Adam Bien asks Is JavaFX Ready for the Enterprise? Or Why Should You Care (11 Questions and Answers):

1. Easy start: Starting with Java FX is surprisingly easy. You can build your first application in minutes. There are many "hello world" tutorials out there. That is important for the first impression and so adoption. The tutorials, however, are more focussed on visual effects and less on clean application structure, patterns and code organization. Good IDE support. 2. The plain IDE support (e.g. editing experience) is still not as good as Java. You get basic refactorings like e.g. renaming methods, classes and packages, moving artifacts etc. More sophisticated refactorings like e.g. extract method, extract attribute, quick fix etc. are still not available. The tool support right now is, however, orders of magnitude better than it was at the beginning of Java...

In the Weblogs, Masoud Kalili says Oracle is NOT taking back OpenSolaris, ZDNet Dana Blankenhorn got it wrong:

Once again the FUD around Solaris and OpenSolaris fate started to spread after Dana Blankenhorn misunderstood the licensing terms and used a eye catching and visitor increasing title, Oracle taking back OpenSolaris, for his blog entry. Well, from this article we can get that even the veteran writers can get things wrong and spread incorrect news :-) Folks, Solairs is one of the biggest Sun assets that Oracle is now own by taking over Sun . Solaris and OpenSolaris are going to be around in a much better shape than before because Oracle is betting its fight for the market share on this operating system to form a complete stack including storage, hardware, OS, middle-ware, support and so on...

I posted Geertjan Discovers Raytheon Applying NetBeans in Mission Critical U.S. Department of Defense Software:

Geertjan Wielenga pointed out the Raytheon Virtual Control enterprise management and control system, "yet another NetBeans Platform application in the defense sector." I'm sure I must have sent out an application for employment to Raytheon multiple times during my career as a software engineer, since they have offices in my region and the work is in the sector where I've done most of my development. So, I find the fact that Raytheon would choose NetBeans as the platform for developing an application whose "robust capabilities are being applied across the LVC domains to support some of the most critical development programs in the Department of Defense (DoD)" to be yet another indicator of the stability and reliability that NetBeans provides...

Juliano Viana reviews Nested forms - what a WickeT idea!:

Have you ever got into the situation where you feel like you need to stretch the limits of HTTP form processing? Sometimes when developing complex web applications you end up with a form that has just too many features on it. This situation is particularly common when the application uses Ajax forms, as these forms often end up accumulating an enormous amount of funcionality - different actions for different buttons, events related to list choices or check box changes, partial screen updates etc. One of the applications I'm currently working on has a requirement that the user should be able to upload files as part of bigger system interactions...

In the Forums, xiangyingbing asks Why jboss5.1 is so slow on solaris 10?: Why jboss5.1 is so slow on solaris 10? I read many related articles, but none of them give a solution. Those artices are ...

In the LWUIT forum, shankar_vn describes Problems with CoordinateLayout: On ContentPane i added one container of type CoordinateLayout in center and a Label in South. My screen is 240*320, after deducting label's height from ContentPane's height, there is 285 points available for my CoordinateLayout container...

In the Java SE forum, odoremieux has questions about Code compatible 1.5 and 1.6: Hello, I have some code that should be able to run using JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 I am using SwingWorker. I would like to know if when the end user is using JDK 1.6, the code will use the SwingWorker from "javax.swing.SwingWorker" and...

Our Spotlight this week is Window / dock icon for ribbon frame in Flamingo 5.0:

The application menu button in the ribbon component from Flamingo component suite is a big round button in the top left corner of the ribbon. It is not a direct replacement for the usual application menu bar, but rather a place to hold actions that (as a general rule) do not affect the visual content of the document – such as saving, printing, sharing etc. Prior to version 5.0, the ribbon frame...

This week's java.net Poll asks How many portable devices with Internet connectivity do you own?. The poll will run for the next week.

We've just published a new Feature Article: HTML5 Server-Push Technologies, Part 1 by Gregor Roth; this two-part series explains the new Server-Sent Events and WebSockets API in HTML5. We're also featuring Flexible Swing Reporting Using JIDE Aggregate and Pivot Tables, by Malcolm Davis (in which you learn about a Swing report alternative that provides 90% of the solution with 10% of the effort); and Getting Started with Java and SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0 by Java Champion Bruce Hopkins (learn how to create applications that utilize SQLite on Blackberry OS 5.0).

Current and upcoming Java Events:

Registered users can submit event listings for the java.net Events Page using our events submission form. All submissions go through an editorial review before being posted to the site.

Archives and Subscriptions: This blog is delivered weekdays as the Java Today RSS feed. Also, once this page is no longer featured as the front page of java.net it will be archived along with other past issues in the java.net Archive.

-- Kevin Farnham
O'Reilly Media
Twitter: @kevin_farnham

Read: Poll Result: Minimal Impact of Oracle Acquisition on GlassFish Roadmap is Applauded

Topic: Oracle spent $1.05M lobbying in last quarter of 2009, slightly above 2008 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Report says Apple working on 2 new iPhones, 1 aimed at Verizon Wireless

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use